G&L ASAT Bass yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomfunk, Dec 31, 2005.

1. boomfunk

Jun 6, 2005
    re they as cool as they look

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their awesome, just played my first Semi Hollow ASAT the other night in Manhattan and i would have no hesitation in ordering one for myself. :bassist:
  3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  4. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Great Build Quality but not my tone.

5. Would that be the one in Manny's? :eyebrow:

7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Great basses, great looks, versatile, great tone, NECK DIVE LIKE A MOTHER! Try before you buy.
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    i'm kind of surprised by this. The ASAT, like the L2000 that it shares pickups and electronics with, is one of the most versatile basses made. You can get just about any tone possible out of one. What is your tone, if you don't mind me asking?
  9. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1 on the neck dive, nice bass otherwise.

10. do a forum search...there is a remedy for the neck dive

someone makes a metal extension arm that replaces the neck plate and you connect the strap to the end of the arm that ends up somewhere near the 12th fret...its ingenious and entirely reversable.

I'd love to own a semi-hollow ASAT...someone want to send me one (or two)?

11. hah i've played that bass to, love it, but i tried it only a few days after i bought a 'ray, which i couldnt return cus i love it so much

but anyway, ASAT are super nice basses i wish i could afford another bass.
  12. boomfunk

Jun 6, 2005
    I dig clicky P bass Steve Harrissy tone. bit of flea, JPJ, Wolfmother(aussie aussie aussie) anything rockin really
  13. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I love mine. Has become my main player. Neck dive is not bad with a wide strap. I'm using a 3". There is still a little, but not bad at all.
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

I was going to mention that. "ASATMAN" on the Dudepit makes them.
  15. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I have an ASAT with a #6 neck and it is one of the few (very few) basses I have owned that I can actually say I LOVE. It's not going anywhere. It provides great tone with devestating but clean low end, great playability, and is versatile and comfortable. Neck dive? A bit. But that is inhereht in the design. I don't find it bothersome or uncontrollable. It will stay in position as you are playing it without issue, unlike a P Bass I once owned which slid downward continuously while playing. (Gravity loved that thing). Buy a used one first for a trial run. If you don't like, you'll always get your money back. Maybe I'll buy it. :)

If anyone is considering buying a G&L bass i have found that Buffalo Brothers Guitars have the best prices on them that i have found. My First post of the Year ! :hyper: :bassist:
  17. USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    Mike I never would have expected to see a Woody Allen quote here. Just my opinion but having to buy a contraption to make the bass comfortable just seems wack to me. I owned an ASAT for awhile and it never felt natural but it wasn't horrible to play. I picked up a Stingray and found that it gave me what I was looking for in an active bass so as much as I love the look of the Butterscotch Blonde ASAT, I let it go.

18. A nice bass indeed. :smug:

I'd like to try the other G&L's, but they are always locked up. And no one in there ever seems to like being asked to play locked up basses...

I want to order one of these basses now. :hyper:
  20. Got mine from the factory in 95, got to go there to pick it out and everything. Friend of friend kind of thing. Anyway, it was my main bass for about 3 years until I just couldnt handle it anymore, not so much the neck dive but b/c there is no horn the bass is shifted to far outward away from you making the low notes feel like thier a mile away. My right plucking hand also felt or seemed like I was playing on the neck of most standard basses but in reality I was playing over the bridge PUP of the ASAT. Everything was to far shifted to my left. It started to twist and extend my wrists to much. Other then that, one of favorite basses on my lap!