Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L ASAT Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jan 28, 2001.

1. What's up with these? I like the look, but have never seen one in the flesh. What kind of sound do you get from two humbuckers? What does ASAT stand for? Is the neck slim like a Jazz bass? What do they sell for?

2. The ASAT bass is really just an L-2000 with a different body shape. The difference is purely cosmetic.

The L-2000/ASAT is certainly one of the most versatile basses on the market offering a huge range of tones. The different switching options, series/parallel, passive/active/active with treble boost combined with the pickup selector offer 18 possible combintaions of tones. The result is a range of tones from mellow and blossomy to "in your face", "paint peeling" tones and everything in between.

If I could only have one bass, this would be it. In fact, whenever I am entering a new musical situation, and I only have room to bring one electric bass along, I always bring my L-2000 because I know I'll always be able to get close to whatever the ideal tone that is required with that bass. No matter what I'm faced with, I can usually get the sound I need with the L-2000 (or ASAT).

3. Oops, I forgot about some of your other questions.

Necks - you get basically get any shape you want. They do offer a Jazz bass style neck, but that have quite a range of sizes and fingerboard radii.

ASAT doesn't actually stand for anything musical. I can't remember exactly, but I belive it's just some sort of flashy thing they thought sounded good. I think it stands for "Anti Satellite... something or other?

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I don't know where my previous post went but ASAT simply means After Strat, After Tele. You know...those Fender guitars.:)

5. After Strat After Tele makes the most sense, but I swear I've read somewhere that that's not what Leo actually meant.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've seen ASAT's used for ~$500.

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Brad, just do us all a favor and open a used bass shop on the net. You could save us all a ton of money. Think about the great service you would be providing for your fellow TBer's and bassmen.:)

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    dear brad i'm interested in buying an asat from you at the price of 700$
    so you'll have 200$ in your hands and i'll save a lot of money, thanks

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Courtesy of the folks at guitarsbyleo:

[Edited by gweimer on 01-28-2001 at 06:03 PM]

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I stand corrected....

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There was an absolutely mint used ASAT (natural finish) at a local store for at least a couple of months for $500. I was amazed that it was there that long, it sounded like an L2000...in other words, very nice.

If you're serious, barroso, email me. I don't want anything for finding one. If I do find one, I'll play it and get back to you if it's local and local or not send you info on where it is. Email is cheap.

A large number of people still don't use the web to find gear, I don't really understand that. When I see post where someone's asking should they buy a Carvin or an RB5 for $1200 I wonder...how about a Zon or an Elrick or...

BTW I found an Elrick Standard Bolt-on 6, oil finish with Wenge neck for $1399 (or less), email me if you're interested;)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The problem is I'd rather pass on a great deal to the player than be a middle man. That being said, if or when I sell my Surine 7 it won't be for $1000 :D

I'm not that nice.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    dearbrad you are very kindly and i'm a little bit envious of you, this is the truth. the trouble is that living in italy, where everything but prices is smaller than in the usa, i do not find so interesting deals. i want an asat bass but here they are like ghost, everyone speaks about them but no one have seen anything.... so i started looking for an asat on the web and i found interesting deals. i found g&l basses at half the price of what i've seen here in italy. HALF the price.... so i decided to order it form usa, i only need to know if i have to pay additional taxes and then i'll lace my order. be sure man.
    thanks again
    marco

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  15. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The ASAT is a VERY nice bass with the same elecs as the L-2000.Some folks have trouble with how they balance though.This plus the look is why i prefer the L-2000.You will probably get hit with some additional taxes and a hefty ship cost so be sure to add those up beforehand!!!Good luck!

16. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000

so i've been on this g&l kick. wanted to play a few, to see if i was smoking crack or or what...

went to a shop near where i work, and played an L-2000 and an SB-2...

L-2000 - liked the feel of the neck, and the radius of the fingerboard. this thing had like 20 different tones, just as everyone had said that it would. this particular one had a bad pot, and i believe the bridge was installed incorrectly (looking down at the bass, the strings were all too close to the G side of the fingerboard, and not close to the E side. this was pronounced enough that when you played you were constantly pulling the e string off the fingerboard...) it seems like a lot of the MIM fenders in my area have the same problem.

SB-2 - this is the bass i really went to play. liked the sound, and the neck joint and everything was tight. the nut was a little narrow, and the fingerboard was a bit rounded for my taste -- but overall it was a cool bass.

think i'm still holding off on my 2nd bass..

17. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    John,check the G&L site on their options page.There are several choices on neck width/radius you can choose from on any of their bass's.Good luck!