Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L ASAT Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joen, Sep 3, 2000.

1. joen

joen

Sep 2, 2000
    Any positive or negative comments on a G&L ASAT Bass? Looking at possibly buying one in the near future. How's the sound, playability, etc.? Currently playing a RIC 4003 a few Fenders and Guild Starfire II. Just looking for something different. Thanks in advance...

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They look like a Tele and play and sound like an L2000. I like the L2000, the ASAT body style is a love-it-or-leave-it thing.

3. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice bass.Amazing range of tones with 18 diffrent switch combinations.Ive played one several times at my local shop.The elecs are identical to their L-2000 which i prefer the looks of.The ASAT does come std with a more comfortable neck than the other G+Ls though they offer several variations on all their basses.For some reason theyre not very popular in my area.The dealer has had 4 of them hanging on the wall over a year now.Theyre resale isnt very good either from what ive seen.I dont know why,they are very nice instruments.Only complaints ive heard is that they tend to hum/pick up radio stations due to poor shielding which is easily/inexpensive to fix,and the wiring is a bit sloppy.Good luck!

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In addition to what's been said, I've heard that the ASAT isn't as well balanced as the L-2000. I agree with the love it/leave it comment. Personally, I love the look.

5. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Ive had many G+L basses over the years.Always liked the look of the ASAT bass.The shielding problem seems to be gone from the newer ones.Even if it is a problem,you can fix it yourself,easily,for next to nothing with some shielding tape.
    The only drawback to an ASAT bass,is that some of them are neck heavy.
    Because of the lack of an upper bout,the strap button is too far from the headstock to balance a long bass neck properly.
    This is not true of all of them,only the really light bodied ones.
    Also there were/are many neck options,from Jazz width to wide flat type.
    Great pick ups/pre amp.
    VERY well made.

6. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I agree with the "neck heavy" comments. My advice is to be sure to play one with a strap before you buy it (unlike me! ;))

I've had two and both were great basses. Neither had the shielding problems.

Craig