G&L ASAT BASSES...what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Sep 20, 2004.

1. I REALLY like the sound of the MM Stingray basses...best thing I EVER picked up for slapping. I just LOVE the tone and the feel, but then I've been doing some research and G&L ASAT caught my eye. Some of the reviews I've read are really quite favorable and hails the ASAT as a much more versatile instrument.

Also, I'd really like to go fretless, and was wondering if anyone has played a fretless version of the ASAT.

You see, I am currently ADDICTED to fretless....MWAHHHHH :cool:

Any thoughts or input...

anyone? anyone? Bueler? Bueler?
  2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I played a couple of ASAT's recently and I was really impressed. They were special order models at Annie's guitars in Savannah, GA. These things were just beautifully made, with three tone sunburst and natural maple binding. The electronics were very versitile and they played and sounded great. They only thing I did not like about them is that the body sides are not rounded and it was a little uncomfortable on my left forarm. All and all a really nice bass though.
  3. They sound great and are very versatile.

They however are not near as comfortable as the Stingray. They suffer from neck dive due to not having a horn (Tele). Also since they do not have the horn the way they hang on your body is a little weird. The neck can start to feel like it is a mile long because of where the strap button is. Great basses, but do yourself a favor and get the L-2000.

With that said I still want another one just because they look like a Telecaster. ;)

Just my opinion
  4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I love my ASAT. I've had it for 9 months now and I am still finding all of it's different tones. The bass and treble controls have a really nice taper to them, and they play off of each other nicely.

The Stingray sound isn't 100% like a 'ray but it cuts very well and is still aggressive. I just don't think that it sounds as deep.

I have gotten used to the tele shape, and usually prop the bass neck up with my hand anyways, so neck dive hasn't bothered me. If you find that is dives on you to the point where it is annoying, then you might like the L2000 better.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My ASAT is definitely one of my favorite 'all-around' basics.
    It has several different tones, all of which are usable.
    It's not typically a 'polite' bass though- it is very powerful; I generally have to back it down a bit. I like to call it 'rude.'

this little gadget solves the neck-dive situation nicely.
    ASATMAN on the Dudepit site sells them. It makes a big difference.

6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Just some advice. I own a Stingray 5. I bought a G&L L-1505 (the real deal, no Tribute) after reading so many reviews qualifying it as the logical upgrade to the SR5. I sold it after trying to get used to it for about a year. It didn't sound as good as my SR5 and it was at all unplayable (maybe I'm too touchy about this because of the SR5, but it also didn't come any closer to my Fernandes Gravity 5 Deluxe -as a matter of fact, a WAY cheaper bass-). Also it was the noisiest bass I ever owned (G&L would not take any responsibility towards this, as they didn't answer any of my 5 e-mails), even after I shielded the thing myself.

While I had it, I also played the ASAT twice and got exactly the same impression (maybe you don't get it if you didn't play a SR5 or a Sterling). Bassicaly very unplayable (too thick neck, too hard tension, no low action possible) and ear-friendly than Musicmans. Before going for the ASAT give the two hambucker Bongo a try.

7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't want to sound like a horse's @$$, but if you have a big beer gut, the ASAT is going to look really stupid. Actually, I have lost weight since I got mine, and it looks better the skinnier you are.

If you really love the Stingray's, then get one. Also, G&L necks can vary from bass to bass, so if you can, try alot of them. I didn't have this opportunity, but I got lucky that the one I ordered came out great.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    You ARE talking about an ASAT here, right? A jazz-width necked, 34" scale, micro-tilt equipped (in other words, stock) ASAT??? I don't get it.
  9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, I didn't really get that either...
    I think my ASAT neck compares favorably with any EB's I've played.
    Got plenty low action on my G&L, plays like a breeze.
  10. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  11. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well andruca seems to be referring mostly to his unfavorable experiences with the G&L L 1505. We're talking about the ASAT which despite its Tele shape, has a user-friendly Jazz-styled neck. The pickups are also two very powerful humbuckers teamed up with an active preamp. Agreed, in active mode with the tremble boost at full blast, things do get noisy with my ASAT. However, I find this to be my most versatile bass ever. In the past, I'd get a Fender Jazz, slap on a BadAss II bridge and EMGs. Then I found the ASAT and fell in love. Its a Jazz on Steroids with a very unique look. The balance of the bass is different but I had no trouble adjusting to it. Between its shape and the silver/black bowling bowl swirl-like finish; I always get compliments on this quirky axe.

Secondly the G&L 1505 is a one pickup bass like the Sting Ray. MM make excellent basses, no doubt, but having a 2 pickup axe like the ASAT and like on most other G&L models, G&L’s have far more tonal variety than many of Music Man's offerings.

And I second that question iamthebassman posted, has anyone tried the imported Schecter Baron basses? I'm pretty curious. I'd want a backup up to my ASAT and seeing as there's not a Tribute ASAT available yet, I found myself wanting to at least try out the Baron. Feedback anyone?

12. Like others have said.. great tone, extreme neck dive. The ASAT I briefly owned had one of the most present, aggressive tones I've experienced, but I could not make it balance well on a strap no matter what I did. The one gig I played with it, my shoulder hurt so bad that I sold the bass shortly thereafter. If you're willing to experiment with strap button placement, or can otherwise make the bass balance, I'd recommend getting one, 'cause it's a killer.