G&L ASAT...how is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Just recently I saw a band whose bass player was holding a rather queer looking instrument. It apparently was a confused telecaster that stretched out its neck and only held 4 strings. I recognized the headstock instantly as a G&L and after some follow up research discovered the ASAT. So can anyone tell me anything about this strange and mysterious bass? I think they look great and would love to check one out, but I've never seen them around Milwaukee, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Nice basses. They sound great (same electronics as an L2K).
    I think they look cool too. The only problem with them is they are not comfortable for everyone. They hang kind of strangely since there is no upper horn, and the body edge can dig into your arm. I had one for a while, and liked everything about it except the ergonomics. It's really a case of a bass you should try before you buy.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a similiarly shaped Godin (see pic in profile) and its a cool shjape. It isnt uncomfortable for me at all.
  4. I've just used one today to record a track when I was employed for session work. This bass was hanging around in the studio and the producer preferred it to my fender P, my Yamaha Trb-6p and my Tobias (Toby Pro 6). I had to agree with him.

The strings on this thing were about three years old and I did not have spares. However, it sounded great.

The neck is very narrow, which I did not particularly like, and I did not try it with a strap so I'm not sure how it balances. But I would buy one in a heartbeat. Punchy, no frills tone. My suggestion is to get one.
  5. I like mine. I sold my Jazz and my Precision and keep this one around as my only fretted bass. It does take awhile to get used to, but I like the way it looks and it has an amazing tone.
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you said "it looks rather queer" but then you said "i really think it looked nice"

but yeah, i played one. they are pretty good. sounded great, same good g&l quality, im just not big on the body style.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been wanting to try the ASAT semi hollow for several years now but i havent been able to find one around. They certainly look very cool. :)
  8. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I picked one up at a pawn shop about 3 weeks ago. Mine is a "Premium" model with a natural Ash finish and Rosewood board.
    I agree they kind of fit a bit differently (because of the lack of length of the upper horn, the strap isn't as spread out as it would be with a longer horn so there is a little more pressure put on the front of the shoulder) but because Leo chose to use aluminum in the tuners and a smaller headstock there is no neck dive. The neck feels like a Jazz cut to me - no different. The electronics package is among the best I've ever used. It's the exact same one used in the US
    L-2XXX basses. There are a total of 18 seperate settings you can dial in with the 3 knobs and 3 mini switches, plus variations using the EQ knobs. The pickups have the patent number molded into them so I ran the numbers at the US patent site and learned some very cool things about them as well!!! You could get the same feel and tone from the L-2000 but with the ASAT it's the "country" and "Blues" look that a guy may be after with the Tele shape. I'll be backing a local country girl named Megan Munroe using my ASAT on the 19th of this month. Perfect bass for that gig.

9. Cascio used to be a G&L dealer, but they're not anymore. It looks like the closest stores are Ward Brodt in Madison or Music Center in Kenosha. You might want to check Rockhaus or Wade's before you make the trip or call.
  10. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    How does the ASAT sound for funk?
  11. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    With the bass set to the series pickup setting, both pickups on, the active switch on (w/o treble boost), I dial up the compressor on my BMAX-T to smooth out the highs and lows, I can funk with the best of them!!!

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    It took a few years for me to finally get around to a G&L and when it happened I snagged a gold flake ASAT. What a great bass!! I have no problems with the balance like some do. It's a personal thing. It really kicks soundwise - very versatile. My bassist friend heard it on a gig and said it just sounded "kapow". It's an impressive instrument and unlike Fenders. I like it a lot. If the ergonomics don't suit you get a L-2000 for a more traditional shape.
  13. I didn't know the ASAT had the same electronics as the l2k, although looking at em now that does make sense. I fooled around with an l2k at the studio and I thought it was awesome. The ASAT seems like a really cool bass. I don't know what it is but the body on it looks really cool, and I just saw one go on ebay with a red flake and matching headstock for like $650. A lot of people also compare the neck to the jazz bass, which is what I play now, and I love it. I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks for all the input.
  14. I got that one! I'll let you know how I like it when it shows up next week.

Anyone try the Semi Hollow version?.
  16. I have a semi-hollow with one f-hole. I like it a lot. It is very warm sounding, but can get an edge to it as well. I guess the main thing about the ASAT is versatility and vintage looks. Personally, mine hangs pretty well, but took a little while to adjust to playing. In any case, I like the semi-hollow because it really has a rich thick low-end and can sound real warm and lush. I also dig the f hole because it reminds me of my upright. I changed the stock SIT strings to TI flats and it really is wonderful.

Thanks for the input, i was thinking TI Power Bass strings would really rock on it.