Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L ASAT & L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tetsu96, Mar 19, 2003.

1. tetsu96

tetsu96

Dec 24, 2002
    I want to know about these basses...

hmm..

Clearly..What's the difference of the two??

I want to buy G&L bass...

but I don't know what to buy..
    Thanks..

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    L-2000 will balance better, of course, because of the upper horn, and the ASAT gives you the option of a hollow-body. Other than that, I believe they're pretty much the same bass.

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The L-2000 and ASAT Bass have the same electronics so they will sound almost the same. The L-2000 comes with a 1 5/8" nut as standard and the ASAT has a 1 1/2" nut as standard, but you can order one with a different neck if you wanted. Playablitywise I think the L-2000 wins because of the upper horn, I also think it looks better. The ASAT is unique-looking, lighter weight on average but more neck-heavy. You do have the option of going semi-hollow with the ASAT though, which would lighten it up more as well as change the sound.

I'd say check them both out and see which one strikes your eye as more appealing and which one has better playability.

I love my L-2000 though:D

4. Well , I love my L2000 awell , but I certaintly wouldn't say no to an ASAT.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I totally agree. I have an L-2000 for about 9 years now & I WILL NEVER sell it. It is the bass that has lasted longest in my collection. IMO, it is the best production bass on the market, period.

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I love my L2000 too. When I took it to rehearsal for the first time, the guys in the band said to sell all of my other bass because this one was the best. Here's a pic.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Actually the standard neck on the L2000 now is 1-3/4" wide at the nut. Current production is the G&L #7 which is fairly flat (12" fretboard radius) which was a change in the last year or two. Before that it was the #5 which is also 1-3/4" wide at the nut but with a 7-1/2" fretboard radius.

The ASAT currently has the #8 neck (1-1/2" wide at the nut, 12" fretboard radius) standard and previously had the #6 neck (1-1/2" wide at the nut, 7-1/2" fretboard radius).

There was some period of time where 1-5/8" wide nut necks were out there. So if neck dimensions are important to you (lately I can only take #6 or #8 necks) have the seller measure it for you to make sure.

On ASATs there was a period of time where the bodies were slab (no contours) which is a problem for me, personally so that's something to look out for on used ones. Older ones also had a single strap button centered on the bridge while newer ones have two strap buttons to give better balance (the second one is for symmetry and so the bass will stand up when leaned against something according to G&L).

I had an older one for a while - slab body which I didn't like and because of the lack of upper horn it was a longer reach to the nut. It had the single strap button by the bridge and if I had kept it long-term I would have changed it to the dual-button arrangement.

My main bass is still a G&L L2000 so I like the sound and electronics of both but prefer the ergonomics of the L2000.

Over on the Dudepit an ASAT enthusiast has shown an "extension arm" that attaches with the neck plat that moves the "upper horn" strap position out a ways to improve balance. A very cool idea that was executed very well.

8. That is one beautiful bass! Is the black bridge a special order and what is that signature on your upper horn?

Geez, I might have to get one of those L-2500 someday...Green burst with maple 'board...

9. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I own a G&L Asat Bass. I love it!

I agree with the other post that the lack of a horn for the neck position strap button tends to make the bass a bit neck heavy and upsets the balance. This also tends to swing the bass neck away from you when it hangs making for a slightly longer reach to the lower neck positions. It still plays great though.

When I bought my Asat, I A/B'ed it against the L2000 and the Asat had a slightly better tone. These basses are handmade so that may account for the difference. In any case, it took me about an hour or two of switching back and forth to determine which bass I wanted. The difference was extremely small so I wouldn't fret over it; no pun intended. The tone is great and very similar on both.

Overall, I probably lean towards the L2000 only for the physical comfort that the body style provides.

10. cryptovocals

cryptovocals

Aug 4, 2005
  11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Ilove G&L 2000 basses,i play one last week and the sound was amazing,and the bass look very well made,i like them,the best massp roduction basses right now,Bass Central have this basses used like new in excelent conditions at excelent prices,check them.

12. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Electronics are identical, but IMHO ASATs are much cooler!

[​IMG]

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    ASAT marine blue with rosewood fingerboard,the perfect combo

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow, that is VERY cool

15. WJF

WJF

Aug 1, 2005
    My feelings, EXACTLY! The sounds, the feel, the playability....unmatched. The weight, too. :p

16. retrohwam

retrohwam Guest

Apr 20, 2004
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I've got one of each. True they have the same electronics - however I keep nickel rounds on one and jazz flats on the other. One sounds harsh and agressive - the other smooth and gentle. I won't part with either one. In fact I'm looking to add an SB-2.

17. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Proud owner of an ASAT. It rocks, but ASAT vs. L2000 comes down to looks. Yes the ASAT dives a little bit, but it is not that big of a deal. It's not like a Warwick Thumb.