Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L ASAT neck replacement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by edvon, Feb 7, 2005.

1. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    Hi,
    I’ve got a late 90s ASAT bass (full body not the semi hollow) and the previous owner had the frets filed down to make it a fretless. Although it plays beautifully, I was considering going back to a fretted neck. So I took it to a reputable repairshop where the concern was that by trying to remove the old filed down frets the fingerboard could be damaged (which would be annoying as it hardly had any use...) A replacement neck from G&L was quoted with around 1200 Australian dollars, so I quickly forgot about that altenative. My question what neck could fit this bass, they are obviously very skinny, 1.5 inches at the nut (not sure about the measurement at the heel) but looking at Jazz or Tele bass necks, don’t they look similar? Thanks for any thoughts, edvon

2. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    bump

3. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    found a neck of a SB2 on ebay, which I hope has the same dimensions, will have some frets whacked in (it's a fretless) and see how I go. If anbody is interested I will post the result, if not...not. :D