1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L ASAT players...need your input

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Apr 1, 2006.

1. A few weeks ago I queried TB'ers about the different G&L basses and decided on the ASAT. A week later, an ASAT came up on auction (vintage white with rosewood board) and I won the bid on it -- it's on the way!

I mostly like the passive sounding basses and decided on the ASAT in part, because it can be switched to passive, but yesterday I read something that made it sound like the passive mode was built in almost as an emergency feature to use when the battery dies.

Do any of you G&L players leave it on passive as your normal mode?

Thanks!

2. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    I think there are a lot of G&L players that leave it in passive mode (based on what i've read on diferent forums). The pickups are so hot that even in passive it's pretty strong. I have a L2K and I usually run mine in active (w/o the treble boost), series and both pickups. It gets me a nice dirty bass sound, if i want a cleaner sound i switch to parallel. But anyway, if it sounds like you want it to in passive, then you'll be fine running it that way.

And I know you didn't ask this but, I also prefer nickel strings over steel, I'm using D'Addario XL's on it, I tried Blue Steels just for change and took them off the same day and went back to the XL's - the steels we're too harsh for my taste.

3. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I play mine active but a lot of guys use passive. FYI - as you probably know, ASAT basses have L2000 pickups and electronics. The L2000 was originally designed as a passive bass with the active version as an option called the L2000E. The passive version went away fast (I've never seen one and don't know anyone who has) but I would hardly call passive mode an emergency switch.

4. Thanks for filling me in Flash.....no, I didn't know that the ASAT has those pickups/electronics, but now I do. Any more input would be gratefully appreciated.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    There's some guys on The Dudepit that prefer the passive tone. I've been leaning that way a bit recently. As stated before, those p/u's are H-O-T!!! I love my ASAT, but you definitley have to tweak the ax & the amp a bit. Mess around with all of the different configurations. The passive mode can sound really good. Certainly not a "limp home" mode.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    it's one of the few active/passives that have the tone controls in front of the preamp so they still work in passive mode. Because of this it's one of the BEST active basses to get if the passive part is important to you.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm yet another ASAT player who runs his bass passive 90% of the time. I tend to favor the bridge pickup solo because I like the way the tone cuts through the mix. However I use both pickups for slapping. Naturally the neck pick has tubbier P bass vibe and I used that when appropriate. Normally if I need a boost, I hit the series/parrell switch. But if I really want a modern vibe, I’ll go active. I almost never use the treble boost switch because I find it to be just too noisy. I wouldn't mind having some minor mod to my electronics to alleviate that but I wouldn't want to risk altering the other tones, which I really like a lot.

It’s a really great bass with a comfy neck and distinctive look. Experiment with them thar switches and yr amp; that's part of the fun.

r

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I use about a 50/50 split between passive and active on my ASAT. It sounds great, yet different (as one would expect), in the two modes. I switch between the two just for variation. But, to address your concern, the passive option is no emergency switch. It's a very useable tone creating option in its own right.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I should be getting my semi hollow ASAT next week so I will let you know.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    So the new ASAT's are active/passive?

What switch changes it from active to passive...or vice-versa?

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The switch closest to the bridge is a three way - passive/active/active_with_treble_boost.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Check the G&L website for the electronics specs. As far as I know, the pickup/preamp setup hasn't changed in ages. In fact baring some fancy options that are now available, the only thing different about the current ASAT/L2000 from those of the past is the 6-bolt neck and even that's been around for a few years now. Oh, and the very first ASATs had a slab body.

r

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    The active/passive option should not be viewed as a "backup" in case the battery dies. The purpose is to offer as much tonal variety as possible from one bass and it does just that very well. The pups can be ran and blended in series or parrallel again adding more tonal variety.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep: passive is not "limp home mode" for when the battery dies.
    Choices: passive in series or parallel
    Active series or parallel
    Active +treble boost active or parallel
    Then add in the three way front/rear pickup selector, and you've got a massive array of useable tone.
    DAng, now I want to go home and play mine;)

Enjoy, I watched that auction-nice bass;)

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. You know, if the ASAT or L2000 where totally passive, it would still be a very versatile and power bass. I know of no other active bass were players purposely play in passive mode so regularly if not almost exclusively. The passive switch on most active basses really is for battery crap-outs. However with G&L, it’s more like another tonal variety to add to the already vast number of tonal variations. It’s a heck of a bass.

16. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    :D

17. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    The L2000 was designed to be a passive bass that would give you the same tonal options of an active bass. But due to Leo Fender's Music Man legacy, everyone wanted an active version so the L2000E came out and was the hot seller. That's why the L2000E became the L2000 almost overnight and the passive L2000 vanished - and there must not be many because no one at the Dudepit has ever even seen one - the closest we've gotten is a photo.

18. I'm still hoping to find that holy grail! (L2000 passive)

19. Thanks guys!!! The information you relayed was beyond my expectations and I appreciate it very much. The bass arrives via UPS tomorrow and I've got a big head start in figuring out what combination of settings I'll use. TB'er are great!

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    A G&L will be my next bass...let us know how you like it!