Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L ASAT strap extender installed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Apr 5, 2003.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Just got one of these from Dan on the Dudepit.
    If the only thing you don't like about an ASAT bass is the way it hangs and makes the first position too much of a reach, this might be your salvation.
    I sure like it!
    [​IMG]

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    do they have those for warwicks?

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've seen some homemade ones:
    [​IMG]

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hey that's a neat gadget! I love my ASAT bass but the balance thing is sometimes a pain. Where can I get one, how much, and is it really that strong? It doesn't look like much.

Thanks!

Ron

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Can also be seen on some Turner basses... :)

[​IMG]

Your ASAT version is way more elegant though.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I've put off getting one from Dan for quite some time... but these really are nice... and yeah, It's much stronger than it looks at first glimpse. They're anodized steel, one piece.. just replaces the neckplate. Nice, simple, and reversible... should you decide you wanna sell the bass or whatnot.

FYI, I'm not affiliated in any way... I've just spoken to Dan on several occaisions & we're still trying to work out the "meet up and have a brew" thing (We're about 1.5 hours apart) Very good guy, let him know you're interested and he'll treat ya right.

Here's the Pit thread selling 'em.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    way cool. $65.00 was a bit more than I'd planned. But having thought about it, its likely quite worth it. Might give it a shot. Thanks, bro!

Ron

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    It made the ASAT a pleasure to play for me, but then I would have gotten it if just for the way it makes the strap hang 'parallel' to your body rather than perpendicular. I love when the strap hits the bass that way. Really pulls it right up next to you.

It's very sturdy and well-made. Can't go wrong.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Does your ASAT not have the second strap button on the bottom of the bass? Mine did and it really helped with the neck dive.

Scroll down this page about half way to see the ASAT. The two shiney things on the bottom are the strap buttons, didn't photograph well but you get the idea
    http://www.angelfire.com/music3/cblood56/basses.html

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, All ASAT basses have that second button. I've never bothered with it really. If anything, I thought I'd make the neck dive worse! Actually, I've installed strap locks on the 1st button so I'd have to use another strap to use the other button. I'll experiment with it sometime but I have to tell you, I'm kinda sold on this neckplate thing.

r

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you use that lower strap button, let the strap go behind the bass not around it and the neck dive goes away.

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Sorry, but no.. not all ASAT's have 2 bottom strap buttons. Mine's an '85 model and it has 1. All the early ones have a single button (I'm not sure exactly when the cutoff for this was.)

14. I bought the "bass balancer" on ebay for my Thumb B/O and it seems to be doing the trick. I wish it was strap lock friendly tho.

http://www.bassbalancer.com/

15. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I'm about to sell my ASAT (I'll post it next week) but I might try one of those and see if I change my mind.

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    To me the biggest benefit isn't even the neck-dive cure, it's that it brings 1st position closer. That's a heck of a stretch on an ASAT, unless you're knee-slangin'...

This really alleviates the long reach to the first fret. Much easier on the wrist. To me that's even more useful than the balance fix.

17. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I would like to thank Mike A and XUSH for the kind words about the ASAT strap extension. After checking out the thread I decided to join TALKBASS.
    Many have been able to counteract the balance issue associated with the ASAT bass using various strap button locations and combinations. God love em! Wish that worked for me. After some trail & error the Strap Extension was born. The bass sits in a more "natural" position. Most comfortable basses I own now. In fact I will be using one tonight. If you have any questions or are interested let me know.
    Dan

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    does anyone know if this thingy is being sold?

19. Cool....personally,I dont like the way it looks.