G&L ASAT tribute bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stars, Feb 12, 2006.

1. stars

Feb 11, 2006
    I dont live in the states. getting G&L gear in my little corner of the world is a hugely expensive and pricey affair, so most people in my country , singapore , tend to look outwards for great gear.

i was mobbing ishibashi when i came across this.

its a G&L ASAT bass but with the designation TR-AB.

i asked the nice sales lady , Noriko , she told me it was a TRIBUTE series and a JAPAN made tribute series. the specs wise were identical to the American made ASAT and featured similar pups and bridges.

but more attempts to gather more information about this G&L TR-AB ASAT bass were an absolute zero. searched talkbass , HC and across google , turned up nothing.

heres the pictures,

dosent even say tribute on the headstock

just wanted to ask, did anybody have any experience with one of these ?
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have zero experience with this bass but based on the size/shape, I would suggest that you strap it on and play it.

Tele-shaped basses like this are notorious neck-divers. Make sure this one's balance/weight are acceptable to you.
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    That's one sexy bass! I thought the Tributes were Korean made, though.
  4. stars

Feb 11, 2006
    yea .. thats the entire issue ! no one seems to know about the ASAT tribute bass.

thanks for the tip. will keep that in mind before i buy it :D
  5. Nice man! Could you (or someone else with one) PLEASE put up some sounclips I could listen to? - I'm thinking about possibly getting one, but in order to try one out for myself I'd have to find a shop with one in stock, which (in England) is almost impossible...
  6. stars

Feb 11, 2006
    sorry man , dont have the bass yet .

maybe you could try looking under ASAT bass soundclips. they have the same bridge and pups as well.
  7. That is an actual G&L bass. Tributes are only L-2500 and L-2000. Also all tributes come with a bridge that says tribute on it.You also can't get maple fretboards on tributes.They all come with 1.75 nut widths. I hope that helps you. I owned a tribute L-2000 and now own a G&L L-2000.Let me know if you got anymore questions.
  8. flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    There are Japanese Tribute G&L guitars and basses. I'm not sure if they're still made but I know that in the late 90's G&L would export pickups and hardware to a company in Japan who would then build the instruments there for sale in Japan. They did that instead of exporting USA G&L's to Japan because the prices would skyrocket because of import duties, etc. The Japanese Tributes should be the same as USA ones but made with local woods and they have skunk stripe necks instead of bi-cut necks.

As far as the Tribues we know, there isn't an ASAT bass. But maple fingerboards are available - I've had plenty in my store.
  9. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Mine has a maple fretboard...

How much are they asking for the ASAT?
  10. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    If you're looking for the sound of an ASAT bass, just find clips of an L-2000. Same instrument, different body style.

P.S.: You'll like it!
  11. Okay, sorry. Here in Canada the distibutors don't import maple fingerboard tributes.Atleast thats what a G&L dealer told me.
  12. stars

Feb 11, 2006
    hmm.. so it appears to be a Japan ASAT bass limited run ?

wow.. that explains why they are kinda rare.
  13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That is way its so amazing I have this puppy:hyper:

Attached Files:

• vxZ.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard about the MIJ G&L's from the mid 1990's but i never played one.
  15. stars

Feb 11, 2006
    yeap !

are they that rare ?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah i dont think their were very many but they might have just been made for distribution in Japan.
  17. flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    They were only made for the Japanese market (they may still be but I'm not sure). Supposedly they're pretty much the same as the USA Models but I've never even seen one in person.
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think I remember reading on the DudePit about the Japanese Made Basses. Go to the G&L forum there and snoop around.
  19. Noddy Boulder

Noddy Boulder

Jun 11, 2012
    I know this is an old thread but I thought that I would add to it. I have the ASAT Japanese Tribute. It is an old guitar from the 90s as mentioned, red metal flake.

There is now a Japanese Premium version of G&L basses sold only in Japan and I think that they might be made at the Fujigen factory acco0rding to this blokes blog:

Attached Files:

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    if they have the cfs they must be fujigen like the fgn and the history basses