G&L ASAT vs Lakland Skyline Semi-Hollow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pofrog11, Jan 14, 2006.

1. pofrog11

Dec 17, 2005
    Hi-I am thinking of buying a new semi-hollowbody bass and looking for any feeback from any of you who have any knowledge of these two basses.I want to buy new and would appreciate any info. Much thanks!
  2. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have a '90 ASAT sig model. I've stopped taking my '79 Sabre to gigs. The ASAT is a tone monster. The versatile preamp can give you plenty of focused growl with bridge pickup, a decent slap tone with both pickups engaged, and something approximating a Precision in passive mode.

I love mine.
  3. pofrog11

Dec 17, 2005
    Thanks for the reply-I'm leading towards the ASAT thinking it may be a bit more versatile.
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I own a solid body ASAT and I can vouch for its versatilty, powerful, tight low end and just overall great tone. It is one of the best basses I have owned. I don't have enough experience with Skylines or Laklands in general to comment, but, IMO, ya can't go wrong with the ASAT.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The ASAT is an Awesome bass but if you really want a hollowbody the Lakland is the one.
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've owned a regular ASAT and still have an L2K (same electronics as an ASAT). I've "looked into" ASAT semi-hollows but not had one. I like semi-hollows a lot (I've got a Rumblefish and a Fender HMT and have had a Cassidy, a DiPinto and a Godin).

From the opinions I've encountered the ASAT semihollow is more like the ASAT than a semi-hollow. So if you are going for the warmth and "air" that a semi-hollow can have then you are better off going with the Lakland. With Darkstars (not that I've tried them yet either).
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The ASAT, IMHO, is really more like "another G&L" than a hollowbody. This is not a slam: I've got two G&L's, and they are awesome basses, great playability, and plenty of useable tones.
    But-they are not hollowbodies-even the ASAT semi hollow to me does not sound particularly round or airy. Very nice tho.
    I have a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody too. The Lakland has nearly the same tone switching options-minus the active part-but the bart pups are so strong it doesn't need to be active. It's much fatter and rounder, and with the Lakland flats on it, it is really killer.
    I think you're comparing apples and oranges here, but that's just me. Two nice choices though.
  8. pofrog11

Dec 17, 2005
    Thanks to all for your helpful responses. I haven't heard any negative views of either bass so I'll just have to decide which guitar best suits my needs.Either way, I can't wait to start playing and enjoy the music. Thanks again to all-Scott