1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L ASAT with gold hardware LOOKIE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 17, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  2. All I can say is wow. Gold is a good match with that finish.

3. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yup... That is an amazing one-of-a-kind bass!

I wonder how bad the neck dive is on a fiver ASAT though...

Absolutely gorgeous though!

Cheers,
    Chris

4. The fact that it's a fiver makes it a real collectors item, as there's never been to my knowledge a production ASAT 5 string.

5. that's amazing, G&L does great custom work.

6. i like the gold pole pieces. that really brings it all together with the finish and the binding. man, that is a gorgeous bass.

robb.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Usually never a fan of gold hardware, but that is beautiful and it totally goes with that finish on the body.

If I was to get an ASAT 5'er, it would be like that with black hardware and a blueburst finish....Same fingerboard though.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I agree with jraj. I have never liked gold hardware on any bass but with that finish it looks great! What a gorgeous neck! :cool:

9. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    Wow, they even got the polepieces gold...

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Unfortunately G&L doesn't offer black hardware. Which is a shame. I would love an all black fretless with Labella Tapewounds :D

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu ! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Anyone have any idea what they're selling that thing for. I think it's really cool, you can fix 90% of the neck dive issue by using the right strap.

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Its gotta be like ATLEAST $2000. I doubt they'd do more than a 1k markdown. I'd call and ask but they don't open until noon, their time. If I get a chance I'll post it in here.

*EDIT*

I just remembered they're having a sale until Dec. 31st so by that I'd think maybe $1800 its going for..which sounds about right. The base model is around $1200..$300 for the gold hardware plus upgrades for the neck, top and binding...yea $1800-$2000 is probably around the area.

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    i know, it was more of voicing my pipedream outloud... They do have an amazing blueburst though! I guess silver/chrome hardware is fine.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Anyone know how to price the G&L options? I am thinking of an L2500, with birdseye maple board, gunbarrel tint and transparent color with matching headstock. The G&L website has no pricing info whatsoever, and I don't have a G&L dealer within 300 miles.

15. I forgot that we already talked about this bass on the Dudepit. :) Like many I'm not a huge fan of gold hardware, but I think it depends on the type of plating and the finish of the bass.

G&L does an amazing job with gold hardware. It's *real* gold plating and they even do the polepieces, which is very neat. But is it worth the extra $300? Well, if you like gold that much then sure (materials probably cost at least half that price). But as I said, I'm not THAT huge of a fan.

Someone should really pick up that ASAT fiver though.

16. You can call up Buffalo Bros. or Bass NW and they should be able to get you a quote on it. I think that's who most people called.

In fact, Buffalo Bros. has pricing options on their website:

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/options.htm

17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Believe me if I had $1800+ and wasn't in bass buying rehab..I'd take that immediately :)