Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L ASAT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Reading G&L site i found this strange bass,the ASSAT,and the riviews are too high,is good,or the others G&L are nice instruments,i never test a G&L bass,i need help, :confused:

[​IMG]

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    G&L basses are Leo Fender's final (& in his opinion) finest bass. The culmination of all of his prior work with Fender & Ernie Ball/Music Man.
    The ASAT has the same electronics as the L2000, but with the Tele shape & Jazz Bass neck. There is also a semi hollow body version as well.
    Fine, fine instruments. Still sleepers somewhat.

My next bass (hopefully in the next couple of weeks!) will be identical to the one pictured in your post.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice,the sound clips are amazing,this body is totally made in wood?

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would think so. The ASAT Basses dont seem as main stream as the 2K series but they are just as good.

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    ASAT's are monster basses with mucho tone. But the neck dive is the killer, especially the hollow body models.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I play an L-2000 and have not found any other basses in that price range that even come close IMO. In terms of build quality, looks, and godly-tone- G&L basses are top notch. I definitely want another one, and the ASAT is the one I would get. Blue burst w/ a maple fingerboard...just like this beauty:
    [​IMG]
    Edit: or maybe a hollow-body one like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Go for it, that sounds like one nice bass. I want to get a semihollow in greenburst with a birdseye maple fingerboard. :hyper: :bassist:

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow,is a beauty definetly..they come with a rosewood fingerboard?

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've seen both rosewood and maple.

If you haven't already- go to the G&L website and take the factory tour. Its really cool.

10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I visited the site yesterday and for that reason i make this post,the sounds clips are amazing,too nice to my ears,this G&L are in to my test list for tomorrow.

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    A quick search in the net,people say Ernie Ball are better build than Fenders but the same people say G&L is superior to Music Man models for a mile,and i take a quick tour in G&L factory in their site and i understand why they are than good build,and also another bass is in my wish list and tomorrow i go to test this

[​IMG]

12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    another statement,the G&L basses are semi high end but a very nice price,am very temted,seriously,is time to take my final desicion,i feel very nervous. :bag:

13. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think that G&L's are about the same, quality wise. Both of the G&Ls I've owned were immaculate (One was a '93ish, the other was an '85).

I wouldn't mind an L2k or an ASAT sometime in the future.

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
  16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I love my ASAT. I looks like the pic up top but with a matching headstock.

The pickups are awesome, but take some getting used to. They are really hot. If you can't find a good tone with all the switches and pole adjustments possible, you are not trying hard enough.

Neck dive on an ASAT is not as bad as you think, but it is noticable.

Someone makes a modded-out neck plate for it. It has an extension and a strap pin on it so it hangs better. More balanced and like a bass with an upper horn.

If anyone knows how to contact the guy that makes that, PM me the details or post it here. I though I had his e-mail, but he has not responded.

17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i think,right now,listen me,i think, i don,t have to go to test anything,right now am ready for place an order to my G&L,everybody love this basses,lol,if you see me now,you see a big smile in my face,am happy,is hard search the right bass for you,but,when this bass is right in your head,you know,this is my bass............am very happy,s to close to my final desicion G&L is going to be my next toys until my dead :D

18. The guy you're looking for goes by the username ASATMAN both here and on the Pit. Should be able to get hold of him via a PM, I'd imagine.