Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Bass (not Tribute), what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hyoshim, Oct 14, 2004.

1. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Good bass? I just can't get over their head stock design..

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    G&L basses are great. Is it the L-2500 headstock you don't like? If so, get another bass you like. It's that simple.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    G&Ls are basically Fenders on steroids. Very versatile with powerful pickups. YET, you can still get a vintage vibe out of them if you want. I dig the headstock, personally. But just as the good doctor suggested, if that's not yr bag, hey, there are plenty of other basses out there.

r

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    G&L's build quality is fabulous. Some of the best basses on the planet. As far as the head stock goes, I kind of like the newer, slimmer style. I never did like the 80's kind of 'not curvy enough' look. Didn't stop me from playing them though ...

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Killer basses. I dub them the poor man's Wal. Big sounds and lots of variety.

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes! Poorman's Wal. I thought I was the only one who saw the simularity. And I'll tell ya, my Jazz-style G&L ASAT bass neck is a hell of a lot more comfy than a Wal I once tried in NYC (looked just like Geddy Lee's). I was amazed at how, baseball bat-like the neck was and man was it heavy. On the other hand, G&Ls aren't exactly feather weights either, but at a half to a third of the price of a Wal, why quibble, I reckon.

r

7. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I bought a L2000 in 1987. I was originally considering getting an Ernie Ball M.M. after I saw The Firm in concert and thought it had a great sound.....Ive since played a few E.B.'s and I still prefer the G&L. YEMV Im still kicking myself in the arse for selling that ....and that was in 1996. Yup, that good IME :cool:

8. Good bass, no. Great bass, yes.

The headstocks used to look like Fenders until the lawsuit.

9. i just purchased a g@l l-2000 (not a tribute), first g@l i've owned, always had p-bass and jazzes which i still do, but now i pretty much just use my g@l.....cuts thru any mix, comfortable to play and very very versatile in the tone dept.
    if i was going to have only one bass (i have 7 !) it would be the l-2000

10. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What is the fair price for used/new?

11. i paid 1100.oo for new, only because i live in maine and only three places have them and i wanted to be able to try it before i bought. you can find them on e-bay quite reasonable, around 500-800, also you may want to consider the tribute which i tried also, it has the exact same hardware and pickups for 599.oo new, the neck felt a little chunkier though, but it sounded just like it.

12. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    cant get over the headstock? i thought it would be a problem too but it wasnt. if it really bugs you then shop around and find a used G&L of whatever model you are interested from the early 80's and it will have the more fender looking headstock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dont let the headstock hold you back.

13. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    And the early 80's model mentioned...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I like the lack of pickguard too.

14. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I paid $650.00 new in 1987. Personally I would look for a mid-late 80's model; IMO, you would be silly to skip over this bass simply because of the shape of the headstock.

15. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Now that is a sweet SB-2, what is the finish called? I can't find it on their website.

The headstock on my ASAT is not as "curvy", so to speak. It has less of a protrusion below the pointy part.

16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Don't let the headstock keep you from getting a fantastic bass. Very playable and versatile. I still find new tones on my ASAT because the controls work togother very well.

G&L's refuse to be burried in the mix. Plenty of mids, but they can be tamed by turning up the bass and rolling off the treble. At least that's how I do it.

You can find a used one for a great price, and the older years are of very high quality.

G&L = :bassist:

17. That is the elusive swirl finish, discontinued option.

18. I've got an ASAT bass that I absolutley love, and will never get rid of. The thing is extremely versatile, and very comfortable to play. The ASAT has a 3 bolt neck, and it's never budged. The L-2000's and L-2500's have 6 bolt necks, so you could imagine how stable those are. Excellent basses... I don't think that you'll find a better bass for the price, new or used.

[​IMG]

joe

19. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I love the bridges on G&L's already, but that ASAT with the trem is very cool. :cool:

20. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, what he said. i havent taken the neck off to date it, but the registry at www.guitarsbyleo.com placed it somewhere in 1997.