1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G & L Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HunsBassist, Oct 7, 2004.

1. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I am a bassist located in Orlando FL in a band which is showing promise. I left Orlando for Atlanta GA last month to flee from Hurricane Frances, and while there I went to the Atlanta Guitar Center.
    I found a G&L 5 string fretless bass. I really liked this bass and I hope that once I get the money, it can be my nxt rig.

The one thing that puzzles me is the serial number. It says it's a G&L L5000, according to the G&L website, there is an L1500, an L1505, an L2000 and an L2500. No L5000.
    could someone please clear this up 4 me, thank you.

2. I don't know L5000 may be a discontinued model? :meh:

ORRRR...maybe L5000 is an L2500 double-neck :D

Maybe the next hurricane that blows through you can gas an ASAT (they're SWEET) :bassist:

3. The L5000 is a discontinued model. I should have EMG pu's on it.
    I wish I would have bought the last on I saw here in Texas.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Yep, L-5000's been discontinued for some time. It was essentially a 5 string (super)P-bass. They pop up on ebay from time to time and get snatched up in quick order.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I remember those basses. They have the 2 EMG humbuckers. I understand it’s a good bass but has a pretty hefty neck. The only other negative I've ever heard was that the EMGs sort of gave it a generic tone. Their home grown pickups and preamps apparently have more tonal variety and character. Still, the L-5000 is a good quality bass. I think it was just part of G&L's evolution to their current 5-string models. The L-5000, IMO, was their first good, functional 5-string. The current models, however, really nail it.

r

6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    The L-5000 had a split P pickup.
    L-5500 had two soapbars.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Yep, Mike's got it:

L-5000 MFD P-style pickup
    L-5500 EMG active soapbars

I've never played an L-5000 (although a number of folks over at the Dudepit have been scarfing them up lately) but I know how much I like the equivalent 4-string pickup (in an SB-1 or SB-2) so I'll bet it's a killer bass.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ohhhhhhhhh! Ok, I totally mixed up the models! I was really talking about the L-5500 (the EMG model). Well I've actually tried the old P-pickup L-5000 years ago. I believe this model came out before the EMG model. I'm not certain, but I think it might have been G&L's first shot at a mass produced 5 string. It’s basically a SB-1 with an extra string. The components, I recall, were good quality like the SB-1. However, the string spacing was way too cramped for my tates, the low B string seemed inarticulate, and there can be but so much tonal variety with just that one P pickup. In fairness, this bass probably came out in the 80s when few companies were making mass produced, mid-priced 5-strings. Many early 5-string basses suffered some of these same design glitches including some very expensive offerings. As I mentioned, this model like the EMG model was just another part of the "evolution" of the current, excellent G&L 5-string offerings.

Say, got a picture of this L-5000?

r

9. Craigb is correct.

I have both models ! :D

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    there were only about 400 or 500 of the l5000's made if i remember correctly.

11. Approx 400 were made, only 33 have been registered on guitarsbyleo.com web site.

12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    You guys are good!

HunsBassist, I've seen some G&L's at Discount Music in Orlando.