G & L Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HunsBassist, Oct 7, 2004.

1. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I am a bassist located in Orlando FL in a band which is showing promise. I left Orlando for Atlanta GA last month to flee from Hurricane Frances, and while there I went to the Atlanta Guitar Center.
    I found a G&L 5 string fretless bass. I really liked this bass and I hope that once I get the money, it can be my nxt rig.

The one thing that puzzles me is the serial number. It says it's a G&L L5000, according to the G&L website, there is an L1500, an L1505, an L2000 and an L2500. No L5000.
    could someone please clear this up 4 me, thank you.
  2. I don't know L5000 may be a discontinued model? :meh:

ORRRR...maybe L5000 is an L2500 double-neck :D

Maybe the next hurricane that blows through you can gas an ASAT (they're SWEET) :bassist:
  3. The L5000 is a discontinued model. I should have EMG pu's on it.
    I wish I would have bought the last on I saw here in Texas.
  4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Yep, L-5000's been discontinued for some time. It was essentially a 5 string (super)P-bass. They pop up on ebay from time to time and get snatched up in quick order.
  5. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I remember those basses. They have the 2 EMG humbuckers. I understand it’s a good bass but has a pretty hefty neck. The only other negative I've ever heard was that the EMGs sort of gave it a generic tone. Their home grown pickups and preamps apparently have more tonal variety and character. Still, the L-5000 is a good quality bass. I think it was just part of G&L's evolution to their current 5-string models. The L-5000, IMO, was their first good, functional 5-string. The current models, however, really nail it.

6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    The L-5000 had a split P pickup.
    L-5500 had two soapbars.
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yep, Mike's got it:

L-5000 MFD P-style pickup
    L-5500 EMG active soapbars

I've never played an L-5000 (although a number of folks over at the Dudepit have been scarfing them up lately) but I know how much I like the equivalent 4-string pickup (in an SB-1 or SB-2) so I'll bet it's a killer bass.
  8. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ohhhhhhhhh! Ok, I totally mixed up the models! I was really talking about the L-5500 (the EMG model). Well I've actually tried the old P-pickup L-5000 years ago. I believe this model came out before the EMG model. I'm not certain, but I think it might have been G&L's first shot at a mass produced 5 string. It’s basically a SB-1 with an extra string. The components, I recall, were good quality like the SB-1. However, the string spacing was way too cramped for my tates, the low B string seemed inarticulate, and there can be but so much tonal variety with just that one P pickup. In fairness, this bass probably came out in the 80s when few companies were making mass produced, mid-priced 5-strings. Many early 5-string basses suffered some of these same design glitches including some very expensive offerings. As I mentioned, this model like the EMG model was just another part of the "evolution" of the current, excellent G&L 5-string offerings.

Say, got a picture of this L-5000?

9. Craigb is correct.

I have both models ! :D
  10. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    there were only about 400 or 500 of the l5000's made if i remember correctly.
  11. Approx 400 were made, only 33 have been registered on guitarsbyleo.com web site.
  12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    You guys are good!

HunsBassist, I've seen some G&L's at Discount Music in Orlando.