1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Basses: L-2500, Tribute vs. Non Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Mar 30, 2006.

1. What are the main differences between the sound and feel of the G&L L-2500 and the Tribute by G&L L-2500?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Bridge and electrinics are the same, the premium tributes are Ash as opposed to basswood, the USA's are basswood with an ASH top to reduce weight. Necks are not the same construction, the US G&L's have a bi-cut neck (cut down the center,trussrod installed, glued back together). The biggest complaint I here on the tributes is scratchy pots. This is a very cheap thing to fix, though.

3. I've owned both. For piece of mind I would just go w/ US.

Tribute is ALMOST identical though. lower grade electronics, same pups though...

4. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    The main difference is the US ones are handmade while the Tributes are mass produced. Basic design is the same, pickups are the same. US ones feel sturdier and have better tuners, pots and switches.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a 1981 USA G&L L2000E, and a 2000-ish 2500 Tribute Premium. I recommend whichever your wallet feels most comfortable with, I find them both to be high quality, enjoyable instruments.

6. I don't own a Tribute bass, but a Tribute ASAT Special Plus.
    www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511114

I've never played a real G&L, but a friend of mine that has said it was very hard for him to tell the difference between the two.

It's got a nice sound, something like a fuller Fender Telecaster tone, but with all the twang. The finish couldn't be better.

I'm delighted with it. :hyper:

Mike

7. By the way, the gig bag they include with it is over-the-top!

Very good quality, and it even has a coat hanger-type hook on a chain that comes out of a pocket near the top. :cool:

Mike

8. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Tributes and USA-G&Ls are both basses, but IMO the USA models have a luxury-feel that the Tributes don't have.

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    These are my observations having owned both:

The L-2500 Tributes have shielded control and pickup cavities, the USA L-2500's have NO shielding.

The L-2500 Tributes pre was very quite; the USA L-2500's pre was VERY noisey.

The USA L-2500's fret job was slightly better (But for the $$$'s it should be and I stress "Slightly better"!)

I'd say minimize your $$$ loses, buy the Tribute.......or buy a used L-2500

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Or, buy a used Tribute....

TheDominoKid likes this.
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Even better!;)

12. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    USA G&L basses are shielded but there was a time when they weren't. Also, the preamp from before mid 1998 was much noisier than the current one. The old preamp/unshielded bass combo was very noisy. The difference between a new USA L2500 and a Tribute is going to be more of a feel difference than anything else.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    If they are shielded it would have changed in the last couple of years. Here's a pic of the cavity of a USA L-1500 that I purchased 2-1/2 years ago. I'll also include a pic of the control cavity of a Tribute L-2500.

Proof that you don't always get what you pay for..........................

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I do wish they had seperate pop top battery cavities...