G&L Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metro_trash, May 30, 2001.

1. Well , it's time for me to go into the real world of basses , put down the Ibanez and get a real bass. I was looking for a Musicman or Warwick , something high end but not Fodera high end. My only problem was that with musicman and Warwick basses....... they seem to have a distinct sound and I don't want to lock myself down , and since I live in Alaska I can't try them to see if the sounds suit me......... Then I came across G&L. I'm looking at a 5 string 2 Humbucker passive/active bass in sunburst. I've heard good things about them , their durability and range of sounds. I'd just like a bit of input from anyone with a bit of G&L experience or suggestions. Thanks.
  2. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey Metro, scroll down a bit and check out the G&L L2500 post, that is the bass you are talking about. We have been discussing it quite a bit here lately. You hit it on the head. I have a Stingray 5 and it does have a very distinct sound for sure. If you are going to have one bass, a G&L L2000, L2500 or ASAT is a real good choice.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They're really well made and have tons, and I mean TONS of tones!:D The thing is, you can usually find bargains on them used. I'd look around a little if you're trying to conserve the $$$
  4. Do a search in here on L2500, and you'll find about 9 or 10 pages of nothing but G&L. BTW, they're pretty cool.
  5. I agree. I bought a used L-2500 from bassnw (cool folks), and I can't seem to get excited over anything else I try out since. Very versatile.
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I have L-2000's, and I'm about " " <<<<< that close to picking up the L-2500. G&L make no nonsense, good sounding basses.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have owned 2 G&L basses in the past but STUPIDLY got rid of them. I love my Warwick but when the time comes to buy a new bass it will be a G&L L2500. Unless I go 4 string then it will be an L2000 or ASAT.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I also recommend taking the tour of their factory at the website. http://www.glguitars.com It will give some appreciation of the quality of their instruments. BTW, I play an L-2500. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

9. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    The L2000/Asat/L2500 electronics/Pups work very well in a fretless bass too. I have had two fretless G&L's and the tonal variation's are remarkable. I have a fretless L2000 and a Stingray 5 now, and would love an L2500 too. Someday.
  10. I own an alder body/maple neck L2000 and an Alembic Rogue. I find myself choosing the L2000 many times over the Alembic for gigs and sessions.

Very versatile, nice passive sound, and aggressive active tone. Even if you cut all the treble, and boost all the bass on the bass guitar itself, the tone still cut through the mix like knife through butter. That is my experience. It's light weight, and has great "punchy" tone.