Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitebread, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Hey i would like to know what everyone thinks of the basses G&L makes. They seem to have caught my eye lately and i would like to hear anyones opinions.

2. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I think they're great sounding, high quality basses. The problem is that unless you get a great deal on one, you'll be lucky to sell it in mint for half of what you paid. I don't understand it, but it happens.

3. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    What models are you interested in?

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I dont own one yet but I have played a few. They are great basses that get all kinds of tones. I played a early 80's sb1 with the two jbass pups it was a real nice bass with a great feel, I should have jumped on that one. My local dealer has a mid 80's G&L Lynx bass that I got my eye's on but I have to recover from the RIC I just purchased first.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    G&L makes some very fine basses. The L-1000 (which I have) is a big improvement over the trustworthy Precision bass. The necks are now made by splitting the wood, and bonding the neck halves together. It's for extra stability. I can't say much about the SB series, since I don't know much about them other than the fact that Leo Fender would never have built them when alive (too much like Fender clones). I'd say the flagship is the L-2000 (and the 5-string L-2500). This is one monster bass - 2 pickups, active/passive switching, humbucker/split-coil switching. It does it all (just ask Brad ;)! ). The ASAT bass is pretty much the same as the L-2000, but the balance is reported to be a bit off. I think resale value is higher than previously posted. BassPalace won't even list the prices of the ones they have.

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've become a big G&L fan. I ended up with a G&L L2000 after owning and not being completely satisfied with a Stingray, a Fender American P Deluxe and a Carvin B4 w/hb2 humbucker. I'm happy with this bass (after 4 months) by which time with the others (if they lasted that long) I was feeling that there were definitely things missing with the basses I sold/traded.

I had an L1000 for a couple of days that I returned to the seller (truss rod adjuster did nothing) but that was what sold me on getting the L2000 - the L1000 was great.

The resale is not great but because of their lack of popularity you can get them new for a lot less than an equivalent bass from a different maker (I equate them with Stingrays and Fender American Deluxes). Email me if you want the website where I found the best price. Low resale also means great values if buying used.

7. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    I bought my L2000 a year ago and I am not concerned about resale value. I would not sell that baby!

They sound great..have a ton of different tones, build like a brick **** house. Not a cookie cutter bass!

Some history...

Leo Fender sold Fender to CBS in 65.
    Leo Started Music Man in the 74ish
    Leo and old friend George Fullerton founded G&L (for George & Leo) in 80.

The last bass Leo created was the L2000.
    They are still made in the same factory....which by the way was also the old Music Man factory..

I think they are the best bass in to 1000-1500.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a G&L 2500, and it really is a great bass. Extremely well built and versatile. Check them out!

9. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    I am mostly looking at the ASATs, or maybe the L-2000 (I Just like the way the ASAT looks better). Yeah I am planning on going used cause I don't think i could afford a new one. Lately I have been watching ebay alot.

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Check out http://www.guitarsbyleo.com and go to the marketplace. They sometimes have a few there. This is also the best site for any and all information on G&L stuff.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    WB, the used gear store I frequent, Atomic Music in College Park, Md, has a natural finish ASAT that's like new (the last time I saw it). I'll probably stop by there tomorrow, I'll check on it if you're interested.

They also have a Zon, a Warrior, a Ken Smith, etc. lots of basses in all price ranges. Cool store.

12. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Thanks Brad, that would be great if you would check on that for me.

13. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i just bought a l2500 and i love it. superior worksmanship, solid, fully loaded; and at half the price. might as well buy one, because if you like this type of bass, then you could always use it as a backup for a lakland or a sadowsky (unless of course you could afford 2 of these).

if you go to the g& l website, it has a list of auth. dealers (maybe there's one in your area).

and if anyone needs the no. for customer service then just email me.

btw, the basses i liked looking at i hated playing.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  15. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Wow that really nice. And 500$ sounds like a good deal too. Does it have a case with it? Does the place deliver?

Sorry for bothering you with so many questions.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I can give you contact info here or email you privately, since you asked about the bass. Let me know.

17. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    I tried emailing you through the talkbass email system thing so i dont know whether it worked or not. If not my email address is hervetheduck@aol.com.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  19. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Thank you so much Brad. I'm gonna call there tomorrow.

20. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Ive been aG+L nut for a long time now.You have a tremendous advantage having someone so close to that store.Ive always liked the look of the ASAT bass.But never owned one.I have however played them.If it is a lightweight one,it may be neck heavy and "nosedive",but you can have someone check it out for you!These basses also came with 2 different necks,a jazz type and a P-bass type.