Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Brand New 2002 Model L1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, Oct 30, 2002.

1. On September 10, I ordered a brand new L1500 from KTJMusic.Com in Scottsdale AZ. The expected delivery time was Christmas, but it arrived this afternoon (October 30). This is super fast, considering it was built to order, and delivery time as of this writing is now 4 months. The total price including shipping is $874.99, and this includes the molded plastic case, ash body, sunburst-3 color scheme, and ebony board option on the #7 P-width fretted neck.

The bad news: the plastic case is fractured at one of the "feet" on the bottom edge. KTJMusic is working with me now to get UPS to pay a claim on this case. I expect a root canal to be less painful than dealing with UPS.

The good news: wow, what a bass! The finish is stunningly beautiful in every regard. The sunburst-3 over ash is perfectly executed and the bass is almost stark in its simplicity. The 2001 and newer models are now using solid brass bridge saddles.

Weight is 8 pounds, 4 ounces on my beam balance scale, factory strings and no strap. Very light indeed.
    • 8 lbs, 4 oz - L1500
    • 9 lbs, 4 oz - MIM J Fretless
    • 9 lbs, 8 oz - MIM P
    • 10 lbs, 12 oz - Fender RB5
    • 10 lbs, 12 oz - MM Stingray5
    Neck thickness is 0.808" at the first fret, and 0.955" at the 12th fret. This is wood to wood, and does not include the fret height. Even though the #7 neck is 1.75" wide at the nut compared to 1.625" for my MIM P, it is very fast and skinny feeling. The ebony board is just plain beautiful and the balance is perfect... No neck diving of any kind... take your hands off, and the bass hangs exactly where it was. Without a magnifying glass, I can't see the bi-cut neck joint where they installed the truss rod.

My stage amp lives in the back of my truck, so I won't get to hear it until tomorrow night. I have my Peavey Minx 110 practice amp in the house, but I kinda want to hear the L-1500 for the first time through my big rig.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Very nice, but send some pics!!!

G&L's are some of the most under-appreciated instruments around

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, i can't believe that g&l's for that much less than a fender or musicman, when they're better instruments in just about every way.

good score!

but post some pics!!!

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Pics!!!!:mad: ;)

Be sure and let us know how it sounds through your rig when you get a chance.

5. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hello Bruce,
    I'm waiting on delivery of the L2500 that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago - looking forward to it! And when it comes I'll play it through my Peavey Minx 110 practise amp until I can get to my gig rig which lives in the trailer :) .
    Gantt

6. I just don't think the Minx will do this bass justice, tone-wise. Mine doesn't. Tonight and tomorrow night will be the first gigs, and first time through the big rig. I'm looking forward to it, for sure.

The preamp is dead quiet... no hiss or hum at all. Kicking in the preamp is a sonic turbo charger, for sure. I have to roll off the Highs a quarter turn, but it really grinds in active mode.

The SIT strings that come stock are OK, but I plan on replacing them with TI PowerBass rounds. All I know about the stock SIT, is they are .045 ~ .105 rounds, not tape wound. They appear to be stainless, but I can't really tell. I emailed G&L asking what specific string model they use, but have not heard back yet.

GAS is already settling in for an L2000, ash, SB3, #7 p-width ebony neck, fretless w/inlaid lines. I understand the current build time is now 4 months, due to the high NAMM production demand.

Gantt, Chelsea is still digging that D410XLT. She pushes it with an SWR 2002 and is really happy with the sound and volume.

7. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Sounds excellent and what a price!

8. 1st gig report:

The L-1500 kicks ass and takes names! I was thinking something was missing... because it is lighter than my two Fenders. The preamp really kicks up the tone clarity on my rig, but it also over-enhances the (apparent) stainless round SIT strings. I don't much care for them... very clacky and not much bottom. They will be replaced soon with a set of TI PowerBass I have on hand.

Tonewise, the L-1500 is very aggressive and grindy... just what I wanted. It ain't no P-bass, for sure. My P with DiMarzio DP146 pickup has a monster bottom the L-1500 and fretless J cannot touch... which is why I keep a P in the harem. But, big bottom isn't the purpose of the L-1500, so it's a non-issue.

We do a few tunes where I need maximum grind sliding between low F and low G. Wonderful, ballsy grind. I've had to resort to using a pick on the P/flats to get this grind, but the L-1500 delivers it in spades with rounds and finger picking. Honky Tonk Women really kicks with the L-1500.

As of this writing, it is unclear if the L-1500 will displace my P as my main player. We have one guitar, flute-or-sax, congas, and drums, and doing a mix concentrated on phat blues. I need the phat P to fill in the holes with buckets full of buttah. Perhaps a change to TI PowerBass will fatten up the L-1500 at bit more.

9. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Congrats Bruce! I played one of these in a shop a while back and I had to quickly put it down and leave before I got too irrational. I'm sure it's a smokin' bass if it's anything like the one I had the opportunity to play.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive been using Warwick strings on my G&L L-2500 for almost a year, and the tone has been smokin.

Im not positive what kind, gauge, or whether they were nickel or stainless steel since they were an X-mas gift from my dad, and I put them on before I knew or cared about those specifics, but Ive had them on for at least 9 months, and they still sound good enough for me.

If the TI strings dont give you what you want you could try those.

Peace
    Nick

11. Congrats Bgavin!

G&Ls are very nice basses. It is a bit unbelievable that they go for those prices!

12. [​IMG]

This is the L-1500 I ordered on September 10, and received on October 30. It is an ash body, sunburst-3 finish, #7 P-width neck with the optional ebony finger board.

It has the solid brass machined bridge saddles that were introduced in 2001, and apparently some sort of noise shielding. I haven't been into the control cavity, but I have no hum or buzz issues, and the preamp is dead quiet.

One thing odd is, the bass hangs with the tuners closer to my body. I guess the neck is seated deeper into the body, or ???, because I don't have to reach as far as I do with my MIM P and MIM J basses.

Here is a link to the 12 photos I have permanently installed on the Reference section of my site.
    The pictures are L1500-01, L1500-02... L1500-12.JPG.

Link to Pictures 01 ~ 12

13. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Bruce,

Glad to hear your bass is quiet. That has been a problem with G&L basses for too long. Now if I can just resist the urge to try another G&L!

Chuck

14. Bruce, you're a man after my own heart! No, I don't own a G&L, but, a Stingray. I'm a big fan of basses with one pickup (keeps it simple) and sunburst is my favorite finish on any bass.

Good luck with it. It looks so good in those pix.

Enjoy.

Mike J.

15. I wanted the MusicMan grind, but didn't care for the neck on the Sterling. The L1500 gives me the grind, plus the neck, etc, that I wanted.

16. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    I'd have bought a G&L by now but really can't get into the headstock. Petty perhaps, but it looks too small to me and too wavy.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice bass congrats. Now for the L-2000, L-1500, L-2500, L-5500 (used, thou) & an ASAT.

I feel the gas kicking in for you!!! :)

18. Actually, I'm Jonesing for an SB-2 to replace my MIM P, and a fretless JB-2 to replace my MIM J fretless.

The P is always my main player, and everybody who owns an SB-2 tells me I won't be disappointed at all with the SB-2 as a direct replacement for my Precision.

I figure a JB-2 with a set of DiMarzios in place of the G&L single coils will be the ticket for fretless. I live on the Bridge Solo with the fretless, and hate the buzz and hum from single coils.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I see the GAS has taken control.

:start evil voice:
    HA HA HA HAHAHAH A HAHHA AH AHAHHHAAAAHAHA!!!!!!
    :end svil voice: