1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L bridge observation (Frankenbass content)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bolophonic, Jul 22, 2012.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I recently picked up a used G&L bridge in the classifieds for a future parts bass build and I was surprised to discover that it is not as similar to a Fender bridge as I expected. I had owned an SB-2 years ago, but since I never removed the bridge, I had no idea that the underside of a G&L bridge plate has a 1/4" oval shaped protuberance hanging off of it. Since I will probably be slapping the bridge on a used MIM or Squier body, I don't have any concerns about routing a relief for the extra metal, but I am left wondering what the purpose is for this. Does anyone know why this was added to the bottom of the bridge? Because my background involves more metal fabrication than woodworking, my first instinct was to grind the whole thing off and create a level bottom to the plate. Routers are probably my least favorite power tool out there.

My other observation is that this bridge probably weighs about a pound by itself.

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I've never seen the bottom of that bridge or how it fits on the G&L but think the protrusion would be used to take some strain off the mounting screws if the front edge were a tight fit on the pocket routed for it.

mech

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Pics?

4. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Leo put that protrusion on the bridge to increase the mechanical coupling between the bridge and the end-grain of the body wood. The goal was to get better resonance and (perhaps) sustain.

To maximize the benefit, the rout should be tight.

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Could a bridge be ANY more different than a Fender bridge?

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
  8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC