1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L CLF L-2000 - considering grabbing one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mouthmw, Feb 14, 2020 at 6:29 AM.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm starting to have some GAS for a CLF L-2000. I never played a G&L before, but the CLF editions of L-1000 and L-2000 are now on my radar because I dig the old school headstock and the control plates (never cared for the bottle opener headstock).

I'm a Precision and Stingray player, I always just end up playing those. They simply fit me tone and looks wise, but the L-2000 is still enticing. I'm also not a bass hoarder, I only end up keeping stuff that I have a use for, so something would have to go, and that would be Stingray. Would an L-2000 be a good substitute for a Stingray? Unfortunately I can't test any G&L basses, there's none around.

How are you guys liking your L-2000, especially the CLF version?
    Perhaps I should just stick to what works for me (P & Ray)?
    Damn you GAS, you damned thing you, damn you curiosity..

2. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Since I got an L2500 Im considering selling my P and ray.
    The L is capable of P and ray sounds,not exactly but they are there and more.

The can opener headstock is a smart design really,its so ugly your bass will never be stollen :)

MCF, diegom, Frank77 and 3 others like this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    The CLF is making this a problem - it's no longer ugly to me :D

There is one small conundrum though - slapping on pickguardless basses is not as comfortable to me, due to a larger gap between strings and the body when popping. I could get used to it I guess, but it's still never gonna be that comfortable.

Also, that's kind of my plan - if I do get a versatile bass like L-2000, I'd only end up keeping my P with flats, and L2000 with rounds. I still need my P because it's half a step down for my other band. So, I'd only end up having 2 basses instead of 4.

ObsessiveArcher and Frodolicious like this.
  4. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    I never thought about popping on a non pick guard bass being an issue.
    The biggest drawback of a G&L is the horrible resale value,dont know why its like that but it is.

5. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I'm all about simplifying these days, so if that is helpful for you, go for it! I only have one bass at the moment (jazz bass), but am considering getting the L-2000 or L-2500 myself!

mouthmw likes this.
  6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Some people find it more comfortable when there's a bit less space for the popping fingers. I too am like that, and have actually thickened up the pickguard (by adding a 1 ply guard under it) on my Stingray so that it's more comfortable for slapping, which in turn gives me a lot more speed for slapping, if I need it.

7. I have a CLF L-2000 and love it. PM me if you have any specific questions.

mouthmw likes this.
  8. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I'm curious about the differences are between a US and CLF L-2000 besides the headstock and control plate at the front of the bass?

9. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I also have a CLF L-2000 and have owned a stingray and many p basses. While I love the L-2000 tones, I wouldn’t consider it in any way a replacement for a stingray. Electronics are different, pickups are in different spots. I also had an L-1500 and L-1505 which have the pickup in the same spot as a stingray, but I didn’t think that they sounded similar at all.

For me, I like the L-2000 for its unique sound and controls. I think if you go into it expecting to replicate or replace another sound, you might be disappointed.

As for the differences between a CLF and a regular L-2000: Headstock shape, control plate, knobs and switches are a different design (but do the same things), slimmer neck.

Gizmot, SJan3, vin*tone and 1 other person like this.
  10. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    They're basically the same as the standard G&L models. CLF has limited color and wood choices.
    Basswood for Candy Apple Red and Jet Black, Swamp Ash for Natural, Okoume for faded 3-Tone Sunburst

The standard L2000 and custom shop have other wood and color options, but I believe the custom shop offers the old style headstock and plate if you want it.

11. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I had an ASAT and it was a great bass. Definitely closer to Ray tone than most basses, but you can do a lot with the preamp. If you like your P and Ray, you'll love the L-2000. You'll have the Holy Trinity of Leo Fender bass designs.

mouthmw and Esteban Garcia like this.
  12. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Clear plastic is available in many thicknesses. A small unintrusive pickguard can be made and placed where your hand hits while slapping. It can be applied with two sided tape and put on and taken off as needed.

I've had the same concerns although more with destroying the finish with my right hand pounding. On my newer M-2000 I've found the distance is correct without the addition of any pickguard and the finish is so tough it's hard to see I've been slapping.

Hope you make the plunge, G&L's are great.

mouthmw likes this.
  13. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, erstwhile reed man Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I love my Tribute L-2500, and am considering upgrading to a US/CLF model. The tribby has pretty bad neck dive, but otherwise plays great and has the same pups as the US models. I think the preamp may be different? Not sure. Sounds good to me. I like the look of the CLF. Nothing against the bottle opener head stock hook really, but I do like that retro control plate on the CLFs and how it's clearly an iteration on the stingray.

Edit: d'oh of course there isn't an L-2500 CLF, just L-2000. :( I'd still consider an L-2000 CLF though.

Gotta have a J in there to be truly complete, IMO. Honestly 99% of my BG work is done on the J and the L2K these days, but I love a Ray for its bite, and the P is sticking around for sentimental reasons. 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191207103444753_COVER~2.jpg

14. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I don't have a CLF, but I've had an L2000 and currently have an L2500. It is right up there as my desert island bass with my Fender P5 and my Musicman USA SUB 5. Sorry, I'm not a j-bass guy. Although the L2500 does not sound like the P or the Ray, it has a lot of sounds that I like. For cover band stuff, it is often my first choice.

The poor resale value doesn't bother me at all. I rarely sell a bass and the lower resale value makes them a good deal for ME to buy.

mouthmw likes this.
  15. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    The L2000 is a great bass (even with the older “can opener” headstock).

Tons of tones, great neck shape and feel.

It will never replace a Stingray though. Nothing else is a Stingray.

jd56hawk and mouthmw like this.
  16. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I think you have to be just a bit more patient ;)

17. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I think you meant to quote Esteban Garcia

But yeah, CLF L-2500 is coming out soon.

mouthmw likes this.
  18. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Whoops, my bad, not sure how this happened :D Yeah, meant to quote @Esteban Garcia

Jackcrow likes this.
  19. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    I have a CLF L-1000 that I love playing. The neck is incredible. A slim c that’s 1 5/8” at the nut. I also have an L-2000 Tribute. It is a little chunkier with a 1 3/4” medium c profile. It’s a great bass for the money. Nevertheless, by the end of this year I’ll pick up a black and maple CLF L-2000 and probably sell the Tribute. The differences are enough for me to justify the expense.

if you wanted to save some money, I’d say shop around for an early L-2000. You’ll probably save money over a new CLF. I just don’t have the patience. I’ve been a devotee of the brand since I bought me first Wunkay in 1980.

BadJazz and mouthmw like this.
  20. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, erstwhile reed man Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    welp...

fry.jpg

flannel cat and mouthmw like this.