1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

G&L CLF Research L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heave1, Mar 12, 2018.

1. heave1

heave1

Mar 11, 2018
    Are these new CLF Research L2000 basses going to sound any different than a regular G&L L2000?

2. Doubt it, the retro stuff is just a cosmetic touch, meant as an homage to the original L-2000e.

Unless I missed something, the new Research 2K's have the same guts as any other modern 2K.

Don't expect it to sound like the original brutish L-2000e. Different preamp and switching modes. Not that that's a bad thing, but the 2Ke series was in a league of its own. A certified monster.

If G&L would ever offer an exact replica of a L-2000e.....including v1 guts and pickups wound to original spec.....the hard core G&L fans might jump on board for one. Toss the Empress body wood option into the mix and I might join them! :thumbsup:

wmmj and bdgotoh like this.
  3. heave1

heave1

Mar 11, 2018
    Is the empress wood for a G&L guitar body too soft to hold the hardware screws? Someone mentioned that on another post.

4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Nope, I've had a bunch of them and they are all great. No problems with any of them yet, both 4 and 5 strings.

armybass likes this.
  5. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    CLF L2000s are just cosmetic homages to the old models, they wrote many times that an exact replica wouldn't be compatible with Leo's vision (read off their instagram) so they limited to the aesthetics. They are ment to sound like any other modern L2000.

armybass likes this.
  6. renkema

renkema

Feb 27, 2007
    Has anyone purchased/played the CLF model l2000. I have an '81 all original but the neck just seems to have lost its mojo and am considering getting a new CLF replacement neck. Its not cheap ($500) but interested if the newer neck could breath life back into the bass. If so, I'm thinking I would have the best of both worlds (modern neck with the Leo vintage model). thoughts?

7. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    G&L necks were about 1/4" shorter before the year 2000, some people have problems with their bridge intonation screws bit being not quite long enough.

Otherwise people seem to be happy with their new necks when they put one on an old body.

By the way I have a CLF L1000 and a CLF L2000 and I love the necks (same neck profiles according to G&L).

Rocket Music - GLCLFHeritageL2000CandyAppleRedSOLD

8. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    Isn't your model a 3 bolt on neck? The new ones are a 6 bolt on.

9. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Could anyone tell me of the differences between the regular L2000 and a CLF L2000?

10. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Different headstock, different neck profile, front mounted control plate, different knobs, colored switch covers.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yeah, the colored switch caps were all I needed.
    i52nlt.jpg

ErikP.Bass and bdgotoh like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021