Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Climax Bass -- Any experience?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbitsky, Sep 30, 2005.

1. tbitsky

tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Looking for feedback on a G&L Climax Bass. I tried a G&L L2000 and liked it, but my current POS bass has a jazz neck. A guy near me is selling one used at a reasonable price.

I play rock and pop, mainly, half of it usually classic rock. Sometimes I fill in for heavy rock bands, too. I'm either going to get a G&L or a Fender jazz bass.

Anyone here ever gig steady with a G&L Climax? Impressions? Did you feel like, someday, you were going to upgrade, or were you happy enough with it for a long time.

Thanks!
    Tom

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a Climax bass, and while the neck was thin as a Jazz, and comfortable to play, I really, really didn't like the tone of it. I traded it for a MIJ Jazz & $200, and never looked back.I had an L-2000 that I liked better, and it could sound like a Jazz, but it had a fatter, less comfy neck. My advice is to find an L-2000 with a thin neck, or a G&L SB-2, or a JB-2. Of course, if the Climax is cheap enough, it might be worth it to get as trade fodder for a 'Jazzier" G&L.

3. tbitsky

tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    I could probably get it for $450.00.

The uncomfortable (not unplayable, just uncomfortable) neck is why I didn't pick up the L2000 when I had the chance.

Perhaps I should just be like everyone else and buy a Fender Jazz bass.

4. You may want to post something on the Dudepit G&L forum.

I have never owned a Climax, so I really can't comment.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The only problem with posting it on the G&L forum is you're going to get the opinions of G&L loving guys, who might be educated about their stuff, but are also highly biased towards them. Of course, I've had 3 G&L basses, and 2 G&L guitars, and sold them all, so I might be biased against them. :D

6. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    I had one about 7 years ago and sold it after I coul not get a good, nice tone out of it. Lots of highs, no bottom and a lot of hiss. I tried it using other bassplayers amps (mine is a T.E. 2x10 combo and a SWR Interstellar overdrive pre, poweramp and Hartke 4x10) others were Tech Soundsystems, Ampeg SVT, and Glockenklang.
    A friend of mine bought it, had the same problem, installed a bartolini P/U and is really happy with the sound.
    Nice player, though.