1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Climax Bass -- Any experience?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbitsky, Sep 30, 2005.

1. tbitsky

tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Looking for feedback on a G&L Climax Bass. I tried a G&L L2000 and liked it, but my current POS bass has a jazz neck. A guy near me is selling one used at a reasonable price.

I play rock and pop, mainly, half of it usually classic rock. Sometimes I fill in for heavy rock bands, too. I'm either going to get a G&L or a Fender jazz bass.

Anyone here ever gig steady with a G&L Climax? Impressions? Did you feel like, someday, you were going to upgrade, or were you happy enough with it for a long time.

Thanks!
    Tom

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a Climax bass, and while the neck was thin as a Jazz, and comfortable to play, I really, really didn't like the tone of it. I traded it for a MIJ Jazz & $200, and never looked back.I had an L-2000 that I liked better, and it could sound like a Jazz, but it had a fatter, less comfy neck. My advice is to find an L-2000 with a thin neck, or a G&L SB-2, or a JB-2. Of course, if the Climax is cheap enough, it might be worth it to get as trade fodder for a 'Jazzier" G&L.

3. tbitsky

tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    I could probably get it for $450.00.

The uncomfortable (not unplayable, just uncomfortable) neck is why I didn't pick up the L2000 when I had the chance.

Perhaps I should just be like everyone else and buy a Fender Jazz bass.

4. You may want to post something on the Dudepit G&L forum.

I have never owned a Climax, so I really can't comment.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The only problem with posting it on the G&L forum is you're going to get the opinions of G&L loving guys, who might be educated about their stuff, but are also highly biased towards them. Of course, I've had 3 G&L basses, and 2 G&L guitars, and sold them all, so I might be biased against them. :D

6. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    I had one about 7 years ago and sold it after I coul not get a good, nice tone out of it. Lots of highs, no bottom and a lot of hiss. I tried it using other bassplayers amps (mine is a T.E. 2x10 combo and a SWR Interstellar overdrive pre, poweramp and Hartke 4x10) others were Tech Soundsystems, Ampeg SVT, and Glockenklang.
    A friend of mine bought it, had the same problem, installed a bartolini P/U and is really happy with the sound.
    Nice player, though.