Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Climax Bass Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philip71, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Philip71

Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    Guys I need your help I was looking around some classifieds tonight and I found a G&L Climax bass for sale for 550.00...I went to the G&L website to get some info and couldn't find anything on this model can anyone help with what year it might be made or if 550.00 is good or bad price?

Attached Files:

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
  3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    There's a trans green Climax bass on ebay right now.

I've owned 3 of them and while they are great basses I prefer the L-2000.

Advantages:
    Narrow Jazz-width neck is stock on Climax basses
    Two of the 3 were very lightweight
    Great aggressive tone and simple controls
    Passive switch if your battery dies (or you prefer that tone)
    Often fairly cheap these days (I wouldn't pay over $500 shipped myself - that black one on CL started at $750!)

Disadvantages:
    Tone is sometimes too aggressive and not as flexible as some other G&Ls

I still have one Climax bass and it's a really nice one. Great basses if you aren't looking for the swiss-army knife of bass tones.

4. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    I had one for a year. This bass had the fastest and easiest neck I have ever seen:the one that makes you play...Never seen a better one ...
    The tone wasnt very flexible as said but good solid tone with a big bottom.The pups had the biggest output from a passive pup I ve heard.The bass is built like a tank with very good craftmanship.Only the control cavity needed to be shielded.

But! the tone was very very agressive for my taste, couldnt find a way to handle it.It was like trying to turn a wild animal into a domestic pet..Couldnt manage it.Ended up selling it.
    Sometimes regret selling it as I ve never seen a better neck .

So if you are after an agressive tone , go for it..otherwise think twice :)

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's essentially the same as the current L-1500 but with a unique neck joint. Most/all came with narrow width necks (an option on L-1500).