G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    Not me, not sure what you're talking about.

dedpool1052 likes this.
  2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Oh, almost forgot. I couldn't explain why the MJ4 neck split open during normal transport. I suspected the tolex case might be the culprit by the lid pressing down against the headstock. That, along with transporting my basses during my 10 hour moving journey during cold weather (~ 25F) may have been enough to crack an already weak neck joint. Dunno but that's all I can think of.

As promised, I finally took some measurements of the case interior. The OEM tolex case lid does indeed press against the headstock and most of the neck. This cannot be remedied, as the entire neck runs along a recessed channel inside, which can't be modded by cutting the channel deeper.

Jim C and dedpool1052 like this.
  3. Templar

I think you're talking to me...yes, that's the one.

dedpool1052 likes this.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Whoops!
    Started typing @Templar
    Thought I clicked his name, but tagged you by mistake.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Yup.
    Clumsy thumbs when tagging.

Andyman001 likes this.
  6. Templar

Yeah I have to wonder what's going on out in Fullerton. Apparently the CS seems to be hit or miss, lots of surprises and unexpected results being reported lately, at least here on TB. To be fair, TB is just a sliver of the entire marketplace. Could be that overall, the cockups we read about here are miniscule. Still, I don't often hear complaints about EBMM basses or their CS. I'd guess that most of us would consider EBMM to be a direct competitor to G&L (or vice versa), but I'm not hearing the complaints about them.

I've read posts on TB where folks are praising G&L for the great service, which I'm sure happens, but not always. Some have posted that G&L did repairs or neck replacements for free, even for owners of used basses that have zero warranty coverage. (G&L's 10 year warranty is for original owners only and is non-transferable, as I understand it) What gives?...beats me.

Jim C and dedpool1052 like this.
  7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    It certainly makes me apprehensive about ordering a new Fullerton.
    Which is a shame because when they get it right, they're excellent basses.

Nedmundo, Murch and Jim C like this.
  8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Ricky Rioli likes this.
  9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    En route to me via sweetwater! Can't wait to finally have a good P-bass. I picked this one specifically for the gorgeous fretboard wood grain

CLF2108021-angle-xlarge.jpg CLF2108021-detail2-xlarge.jpg

Crispus, Jfp, roccobass and 16 others like this.
  10. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    If G&L stopped behaving like a bunch of flakey stoners, they might come to their senses and stop offering us all these options ..... be careful what you wish for :bag:

11. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hey Ricky,
    Good on you mate for cleaning up others mistakes to help a instrument dealer!
    Not many would have done that much work to help out. Well done.

12. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Thank you very much :)

A lot of time and emotional energy had been invested in the creation of the bass, what with it having to be sent back to the factory, I didn't like the thought of it just becoming some under-appreciated curiosity bumping around, I wouldn't have been happy knowing that I could have done more to get it back where it belongs. So I wasn't being totally selfless.

If it had just been an off the peg Am Pro II Precision, it would have been easier to forget about it, but I had spent a while sorting out the specs, and Greg hadn't just taken my order but had helped me get it just right (Great detail – it's got CLF Research knobs on it) And then it came out so light.... I'm still really pleased with the specs, am still proud that I caused this bass to be built, I wanted to see if I could make sure that it ended up in the hands of someone who will really understand what a rowdy cheeky little treat it is.

Also we were in lockdown and I had literally nothing else to do, let alone anything better, so being a total pita was quite an agreeable way of passing the time :D

Also also, if you've ever dealt with Greg, you'll know .... you'll know that I was putting that effort in where it was deserved.

Jfp, pjbassist, woodyng2 and 9 others like this.
  13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's a beautiful burst!

Lammchop93 likes this.
  14. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Here’s a little teaser of my band’s upcoming single. I recorded it using my LB-100 :bassist:

jmlee, mellobud, jglunt and 7 others like this.
  15. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Should have known that eventually I would find that Upfront have sold that Pharaoh Gold + Tort combo, and have photographed it better than anyone else - they've really brought out the sophisticated side of the gold, and so the tort looks much more at home.

16338667521408713409987553596713-01.jpeg

16338665660023335844015841034943-01.jpeg

Crispus, Kubicki Fan, jglunt and 5 others like this.
  16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That looks great, IMO partly because of the big white pickups and white knobs. It all goes together extremely well. On a JB, LB-100 or SB-series, I might prefer a white pearl guard with the Pharaoh Gold. And I do like that finish. It's similar to the finish on a DiPinto Belvedere Standard bass I used to have, but the G&L has a little more of an orange tint. I never thought I'd want a gold finish, but it looked fantastic and got lots of compliments.

(DiPinto Electric Guitars & Basses | Quite possibly the coolest guitars in the world.)

chuck65 and woodyng2 like this.
  17. bullitproof

bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    reminds me of antique olive from Fender.

bonin in the boneyard and Holdsg like this.
  18. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    No reason other than showing a cool orange bass off. Apologies.
    5EA39478-4AF4-4C0F-9E39-763C37874409.jpeg 8BAE321C-9097-442C-AFE3-5B1C862C0773.jpeg D04CF201-D342-4747-9E26-126F27DE2B6A.jpeg

19. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    No reason needed. :thumbsup:

mellobud likes this.
  20. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

So are the newer G&L LB100 basses equipped with dual action truss rods and graphite stiffening rods?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021