1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I just want to verify that it is a USA model.

armyadarkness likes this.
  2. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Got you. If that's your only concern and it isn't super obvious, you can always just call G&L and ask them based on the serial number. But aside from the tribute line which is clearly stated on the headstock, all G & L's are USA

Glazenn likes this.
  3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    G&L has been issuing certificates with the serial number only for many years - I think the earliest I've seen were around 1993.
    Within the last 4 years or so G&L has also been including build sheets that list all of the instrument specs - woods, measurements, final finish date, etc.

pjbassist and armyadarkness like this.
  4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Tributes have black neck bolts and ferrules, USA have chrome.

jefff100 and pjbassist like this.
  5. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Good info. thanks

bdgotoh likes this.
  6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's interesting info. I never got a certificate or a build sheet from the previous owner when and I bought mine - and I never even thought about it to ask.

I might to look into that myself. Not that I can envision ever selling my L-2500, but mostly just for "completeness".

7. Kriegs

Kriegs I like things with strings Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    When I had a question about my 'pre-sending out build sheet era' L-1505, I emailed webstore@glguitars.com and they were able to tell me a little bit about it. So they do have SOME records that they can refer back to, should you really need to know something about your instrument :thumbsup:
    Specifically, using my Serial Number, they were able to tell me my build date and answer a question about the stock electronics used at the time :)

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  8. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    From a collectible standpoint, it's obviously cool. Who wouldn't want one? Yet, most basses don't have em and no one misses em. Fender will never include them because they cost 8 cents to make.

Harleys are the same. When you buy one, you get a birth certificate in the mail a few weeks later, but only some dealerships are in the program. When don't get one, it sucks!

My experience is; Most owners don't keep their G&L folder in the case, so it's common to see them sold without... Then, when they clean out their underwear drawer 4 years later, they find it and throw it away.

I use uncommon necks and stainless frets, so I like to see the ingredients when shopping... but most players don't care as much for stats...

And finally... counterfeiting and deception is big business on the web, and guitars are one of the more popular to do, so while G&L is not a likely candidate for counterfeiting, it's a nice deterrent.

I like the cert, but if the bass I wanted was missing it, I'd still buy.

9. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    I don't believe that electronics are mentioned.... If so, I'm screwed... My last LB-100 came with split shaft pots (which I've never seen on a G&L) with sleeves, and I wasn't very happy about it, so I swapped them out.

10. Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Correct, they aren't on the build sheet :thumbsup:

Memo (the gentleman that I e-mailed with at G&L) was able to answer my questions about the stock electronics used at the time my L-1505 was built, in my case, 2007 (which is 4 years before they started to include build sheets with each instrument).

11. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I have a Shell Pink JB-5 due to arrive in a couple of weeks, I'm really looking forward to it and will pass along pictures when it shows up.

R&B, pjbassist, Bassmantd and 5 others like this.
  12. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    Maple or Rosewood? I'm thinking Maple. I sent my wife a pic of a Shell Pink Legacy w/maple board and her immediate response was "get that in a 5 string bass!". :)

13. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Rosewood on this one, I usually favor maple boards but I already have a Sonic Blue / maple JB-5 so this will be a nice compliment. Sort of my “it’s a boy, it’s a girl” pair.

pjbassist and lowfreqgeek like this.
  14. armyadarkness

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Love the surf colors!
    Does she have a sister, and if so, how far is Albuquerque? My ex wouldn't even let me go to the website... But I do miss her every now and then, usually when watching history channel shows on Nazis.

15. Bassmantd

Bassmantd Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I definitely want to see them. Sounds awesome

Trabeen likes this.
  16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

What is the string spacing on a G&L L-2500?

17. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Do the Tribute L-2500's have the same electronics as the USA models?
    I can't get a search to produce anything usable.

18. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    The MFD pickups are the same. The electronics are not. Made to spec, but are known to have a lower tolerance on the components.

Kriegs likes this.
  19. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I was planning on a full overhaul on the wiring anyway so no big deal.
    Now I just need to find a willing donor body.....:cautious:

Anybody have a lead on a loaded L2500 body? No neck needed.

Kriegs likes this.
  20. Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    17mm :thumbsup:

jmlee and Glazenn like this.