1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Minor nit ...the Tribute JB-2's configuration. As I recall my US JB-2 used the std Fender pickup widths (meaning the bridge pickup was a tad wider).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    TonyP- and AGH like this.
  2. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Congrats on the gorgeous new addition!!! I like the black PG, personally :thumbsup:

JES, jmlee and gunai like this.
  3. Your recollection is correct, sir.

4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Tom, you and @Templar may have to pick your smallish nits back up. You guys got me worried so I just checked using calipers and my Tribute JB-2 has two identical width pickups: both 3.65” wide. Given how unsatisfactory my pickups are, I’m inclined to think they may be quite different than what was historically in the American JB-2.

5. fritzk9

fritzk9 Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Indianapolis, IN
    Does anyone know where to pickup a saddle lock screw? My M-2500 Tribby is missing it, and I can't seem to find it at the G&L online store.

6. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Call G&L directly and speak to them, they'll set you up :thumbsup:

soulman969 and fritzk9 like this.
  7. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Mammoth_Bass likes this.
  8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yes, I think that was my point - US & Tribute JB-2 pickups differ entirely, including dimensions. I’m wondering if the Tribute J-pickups are the same size as Mexi Fenders which I believe also use 2 same-size pickups?

9. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    That’d be interesting if true. It was my impression that the Tribute basses were to use the “same” pickups as their American cousins, if perhaps made offshore. I wonder if there was a change when the US JB-2 disappeared.

Anyone got an older Tribute JB-2 with different-sized pickups?

TomB likes this.
  10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Ok, looking for some input/persuading... I’ve got a line on a local Wunkay from the late ‘80s in great condition. Checks all the boxes I’d want - color, condition, fretboard, neck profile... but I’ve got two Tookays and to get it I’d be trading my Fender Sting signature P bass, one of the few non G&Ls I have. So, go for the Wunkay with more of the same or keep the Sting for variety?

pjbassist likes this.
  11. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I love my Wunkay but given what you’ve got I’d keep the Fender. Otherwise you’re just trading for single coil (k-mod yours) and the OMG mode which for me isn’t that interesting.

12. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Yeah, and to further your point, one of my Ls is an ‘89 with OMG, and the other has the single coil inners... I have a hunch that if I end up with the Wunkay, one of the Tookays would be on the block before too long.

Flipside is that I’ve been thinking of doing a slab P build and getting rid of the Sting for a while, mainly because I want a slab in a different color...

13. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Might be a dumb question,was always told the dumb question,is the one you don't ask? Explain the series parallel toggle switch on the L2000,please. Watch some demo video's but seems like they move through it to quickly,for me anyway?

14. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Hello,fritzk9, I have some extra lock screws,that G&L customer service sent me. I will see if can find them,in my parts drawer, and send you one. PM me your address,and I will put them in the mail for you. Just let me know. Save you the hassle trying to get a call through? Yay!! I found them,they sent me six of them! I will mail you a couple.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    pjbassist and jmlee like this.
  15. My 2007 was same-sized. DiMarzio Model Js FTW.

jmlee likes this.
  16. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    In parallel, the two coils in each pickup are functioning as independent single coils, current produced independently by each coil, then summed. In series, the two coils act as a single, double-sized coil. The functional effect is that the parallel signal has lower overall output and a thinner, clear sound (yet bigger than a single coil) while in series you get a significantly higher output and a warmer, fatter tone.

raphaeld, TDR1138 and Chrome Dome like this.
  17. gunai

gunai

Dec 22, 2016
    The hipster in me says how there are probably very few SB-1 in this finish, let alone left handed ones, so let's ramp that up with a cream pickguard instead of the more common black one. The various women in my life also seem to favor cream, but I'm undecided.

Regarding the graphite rods: Confirmed that starting from about a year ago, all G&L basses have graphite rods in them. (the USA ones, that is!) I don't think any other company would be putting them in necks and not upcharging/advertising it in big bold letters.

@bhunt1 @bonin in the boneyard
    How do your volume and tone pots behave? I have a suspicion that they're right hand oriented pots wired in reverse on mine, but I don't know if this is simply how G&L does things (as most companies) or whether some error took place. My other bass is an active so I didn't even think to fiddle with the tone knob at any positions other than full on/off before getting home from the store.

edit: Basically, there is very little change in volume and tone until one gets close to the off position in both.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  18. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Hey gunai,

Yes the pots do act like that on my bass. I think they are right handed pots wired in reverse. It doesn't bother me too much; I am a set it and forget it kinda guy :)

armyadarkness and gunai like this.
  19. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I will measure mine tonight, now I'm curious.

20. Things like that are funny. G&L did have a substantial price increase not too long ago, so that couldve been part of it.

From a manufacturing perspective, if the graphite rods cost them an extra $4,000 a year, but they save $20,000 in materials and labor for warranty issues, then there's no need to increase price, and it's a great "look what were giving you extra".

As for the lack of advertising, it could be that they don't want to put a spot light on the fact that they were absent in the past. It's anyone's guess.

wmmj likes this.