1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Owning an ‘80’s L1K and having spent time with (and time fixing) a Sting P I sure think you came out ahead on this one! I always loved the trans red and the colors it turns over time. Congrats!

TDR1138 likes this.
  2. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I actually really liked the Sting, and had it dialed in nicely. But I’ve been wanting to build a slab P in Dakota red for a while, but never could justify it. Now maybe I can. :thumbsup:

Definitely excited about the Wunkay, though...

TomB likes this.
  3. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Got my first G&L comin next week!!:hyper: An LB-100 w/ empress body and quartersawn neck. This will be my first real P-bass. Unlike a Fender, which I almost went for, this will require no mods to be perfect. Stoked!! Screenshot_20180714-170520_Samsung Internet.
    When I provide a legit pic do I get a #? Or like a merit badge or sumthin?

Glazenn, Tbone76, osv and 15 others like this.
  4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Ok, got through my Saturday night church gig with the Wunkay... LOVE IT! Super comfortable neck and very easy to play (IMO), sounded great in any switch position. Little throatier than my Tookays, but in the same ballpark of what I expected. The bass came with D’Addario Half Rounds, which I’ve used before and do like, and they really sound great on this bass. All in all, I’m a happy camper.

Glazenn, MG Wolf, armybass and 4 others like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Question for the collective wisdom and experience of long time owners.

Do you all find your G&L necks are more sensitive to changes in humidity than other basses you own or have owned? I ask because my L2500 required more tweaks, and more significant tweaks of the neck relief throughout the year than my others do.

I'm keeping all of my gear in a more RH controlled space now than I was able to do before and while it can become very dry here summer and winter I can generally keep a minimum of 40% in the room at all times and try to maintain 50% as much as possible.

Still, the G&L with it lightly finished neck seems to move more than the others which have gloss finishes.

armyadarkness likes this.
  6. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    This makes total sense to me brand aside from a neck finish standpoint...I always try to get a gloss finish whenever I can...
    I know satin feels nice but I always laugh when folks say gloss slows them down...
    Do you keep your L2500 in a big or case when not in use? That helps a lot.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    LOL, I hear that a lot Tony but I'm so used to it I never give a second thought. Maybe I'm just not that fast. :laugh:

Of course the L2500 came that way and to be honest I can't recall the last guitar or bass I've owned that had a satin finish as light as this one if ever, so it's new to me. But logically a maple neck and board with a light satin finish would seem more prone to shifts in humidity especially in an environment as dry as this one.

But it was worth asking and the right guy responded. You've had plenty of experience with various basses.

The neck developed a slight backbow this winter so I loosened the truss rod and cased it with a Humidi-Pak for a bit to re-humidify it then placed it in it's rack in the humidified room I keep all my gear in and let it just sit for a month. When I picked it up today and inspected the neck relief William Tell would have been pleased to use it as a bow. LOL

None of this is a problem of course and I was pleased the backbow corrected itself so easily. I just spent some time doing a complete setup on it coaxing the relief back to where I like it which means damn near none. I'm finding with this one I need to leave just a little more relief to compensate for more movement but with it's flatter radius I can also drop the saddles a bit more so the action is about the same as the P and J Basses.

The Babicz Bridges on those have me spoiled and I just need to get more accustomed to working on the G&L bridge and a neck that's under a little more tension and more sensitive to changes in humidity. It'll come.

Thanks for the very quick response. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

armyadarkness, armybass and TonyP- like this.
  8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Exactly!!!! Gloss necks and keep your Basses in the gig bag when not playing. Most excellent advice.

TonyP- likes this.
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I put a set on my L2KE and i agree, good match. I have them on 3 basses and they sound great on all three.

dbbltime and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    You don't say how old your L2500 is, but my experience is that most necks become less mobile as they age. As far as finish goes, my '60's Fenders have no neck finish at all, yet are my most stable necks. Maybe "palm oil" replaced their factory finish a long time ago :). They do live in cases most of the time.
    As for the G&L part, my 1980 L1000 had a rubber band neck back in ‘81 when it worked daily, but today is as stable as a rock!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Mike C., BassPilot and TonyP- like this.
  11. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    This is true...I have 74 Jazz (but all gloss) and it's as solid as my Warmoths with steel rods.

12. Very interesting. The neck is the biggest focal point for me, and as I've said before, what drew me to G&L in the first place. Every G&L that I've ever ordered has the Vintage tint high gloss option. I honestly thought that I was the only one getting any finish, let alone gloss.

In fact... the primary reason why I can't/ don't really consider the tribby's is because the lack of gloss on the neck would bother me.

TonyP- likes this.
  13. Lol... Well you know my feelings on it. If gloss is good enough for 16th note punk, then it's fine for the Doobies.

TonyP- likes this.
  14. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    All my Lull basses have gloss and the one I picked up in trade was sent out for it.

armyadarkness likes this.
  15. I don't find that I need many adjustments. My 2008 Battle P sits in a non climate controlled room, year round in the harsh, frequently fluctuating Jersey weather. It never needs it.

The G&L's may on occasion, but they're also newer. I also use heavy strings for whatever that's worth. Just makes sure that when you adjust, only do 1/8-1/4 turn at a time and let it sit for 24hrs. This will keep the wood from compressing around the truss nut.

And I've never seen one out much more than 1/8 anyway.

TinIndian and soulman969 like this.
  16. I never considered adding it. Hmmm... everyone else removes it! I do have a gallon of clear... but no necks in need! I'll keep it in mind.

TonyP- likes this.
  17. You're right. The LB is my fav and it'll require nothing!

Ellery likes this.
  18. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

Ironically (in light of intervening replies) since January, my new SB-2 with the satin neck has been a rock, while my '88 SB-1 with the gloss neck has developed enough of a bow that I've been avoiding playing it until I have time to do a setup.

We ran humidifiers all winter and central AC all summer, so humidity hasn't changed that much.

That '88 has had an interesting life, though, so there may be more going on. And maybe carbon in the SB-2 neck?

soulman969 likes this.
  19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Fellow Coloradoan here.

Yes, and no when it comes to a variety basses. My G&L's seem to be pretty good for the most part. I just had my L2500 setup and it seems like it's going to hold for a good while. My L5500 is going on two years without a set up and is playing well. Just got in a JB-5 and it's doing well, and I was able to play it out of the box for a show earlier this month.

The only bass I worry about is my L5000. The neck is straight but, it's also thin for a 5 string. I've kept my basses in a dry basement for the past year.

soulman969 likes this.
  20. Not really in my case. At one point, I had an embarrassingly stupid number of basses (don't ask), many were G&L's. I was also living in Denver at the time. Only two basses needed frequent adjustments....a Skyline DJ-4, and a G&L SB-1. The Lakland developed a back bow that ultimately required me to change from my preferred 100ga strings to 105's. The extra tension solved the issue.

The SB-1 neck moved around all year 'round from any change in weather. Just a weak maple/ebony neck I guess (#7, flat profile). None of the other 20+ G&L's had an issue.

Still, the low Denver humidity did cause fret sprout on almost every bass, regardless of make....but especially basses with maple fret boards for some reason. I became quite adept at filing down fret ends!

Aside: I once left a cheap bass leaning against the wall, right next to a base board heat register, all winter long. That caused a horrid twisted neck. I thought the bass was ruined forever, almost tossed it in the trash. Instead, I moved it away from the heat source and a week later....voila....back to normal.

soulman969 likes this.