1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Gratuitous picture time.

37E3139D-5EE2-4218-8444-8461A8B9A7EF. F9C08EB0-5F31-4B97-A4B4-8E6E4284D9AD. 0CBB16C5-7174-4AD2-8901-7D4A86EB5605.

alack, Glazenn, XXL and 21 others like this.
  2. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    drooldrooldrool

TDR1138 likes this.
  3. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

I didn't see anything gratuitous.

Nedmundo, XXL and TDR1138 like this.
  4. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

YAY it's Gratuitous Tuesday AKA "Thanks for giving me GAS!" Leos 2.JPG

5. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Love the colours on the SB-1 at the bottom!:thumbsup:

Kriegs likes this.
  6. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Ditto! drool drool drool

7. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

Thanks. Better pic, it's my fave color out of my basses and she's my designated growler.
    SB1.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    AGH, bdgotoh, Kriegs and 7 others like this.
  8. MG Wolf

MG Wolf

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    IMG_5021.JPG
    :bassist::hyper::hyper:Rocket Box landed on the stairs of my front porch :bassist::hyper::hyper:

soulman969, AGH, RocketMusic and 13 others like this.
  9. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    This page rocks!

Kriegs likes this.
  10. Has anyone tried contacting G&L support before? What was your experience like?

I took delivery of a beautiful brand new LB-100 and did what I do on all my basses, which is to swap out the strap buttons to the Dunlop Straplok (hybrid) so that my strap can connect to them. I've done this on tens of basses and this is my first time stripping it. My LB-100's specs are a basswood body, maple neck, and rosewood board. Basswood is a notoriously soft wood so I took great care when tightening the strap button, but the upper horn stripped anyway and now if I play the bass with a strap on, it will come loose after 10 minutes or so. Also, when I took delivery of the bass, the fret ends were poking out, most likely from the super dry heat of Arizona coming to SoCal, and I could feel them as I move up and down the neck.

I happen to live 15 minutes from the shop and have been trying to get the frets fixed under warranty and see if they will help me with the stripped strap button, but after an email to their repair department and a couple to their general support email, I have not received a response from them.

Can someone help me connect with a rep from G&L? I love my bass and want to play it out!

Thanks in advance.

Pics so you feel my pain.

ui92yepbnunjevac80kx.

tnydme2xbpk0hqbf3irz.

gu57dnmp5afoh7yeldz5.

nwquplktqdou28nfclql.

Attached Files:

dannnnn, svtbass, pjbassist and 2 others like this.
  11. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204

Pretty bass. Sorry you’re running into issues with it.

G&L can be a little sluggish with warranty responses, but they’ve done me right in the past. They do want you to filter requests through your dealer, though. So I’d start there.

I will say I’ve had some strap locks pull out of basswood before. Usually I’ll use just a little wood glue when screwing them back in. Just put a small amount on the first 4-5 threads of the screw. Should hold.

soulman969 and Kriegs like this.
  12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ....or add a wooden matchstick along with the glue.

soulman969, RandM, Kriegs and 2 others like this.
  13. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Oh, side thought on the strap buttons... check the diameter of the screw that you’re using. Some factory screws I’ve seen in the past are slightly larger than the screws that come with the strap locks. Might be worth using the factory screws if they’ll fit through the strap lock hole.

And, of course the other option is just a longer screw...

armyadarkness, soulman969 and Kriegs like this.
  14. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I use the Dunlop strap locks which typically have a slightly smaller diameter screw. So take 3 tooth picks and some Elmer's glue. Pour some glue in the hole, put in 1 tooth pick, tap in the second and third. Wipe up the excess glue and let the glue dry. Once dry, cut the toothpicks down. Now you have some wood for the screw to bite into. Works every time.

15. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Beautiful bass!!

16. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Small matter, but you want the kind of toothpicks that are flat, getting slender from end-to-end, not the ones which are cylindrical with pointy ends: "flat" toothpicks, not cocktail toothpicks. These:

toothpicks.
    You can wedge them into the hole with the glue more effectively to fill the space densely.

17. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I put wood glue on a couple toothpicks, snap them off level, and then put the screw in.

(What @jmlee said)

soulman969 and jmlee like this.
  18. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I've always used cylindrical but these look better suited to the job. Thanks for the info.

jmlee likes this.
  19. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I yam a connoisseur of toothpicks! I yam also well-informed on dental floss.

20. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Oh... oh my. It's gorgeous :wideyed:

armyadarkness and MTN.bass72 like this.