1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rattfink

Rattfink Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    Anyone have a 82-82 SB1 that can describe the tone for me. There's a local pawn shop with one in good shape I'm considering picking up. I assume it's something like a 50's pbass or tele bass.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    take your amp there and play it. or use an amp there.
    they are their own thing. I like them. I think they're beefier and more aggressive than a fender single coil P.

3. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Maybe they were experimenting with Rico-Sound! Of course, back in those days, everybody smoked, so it could've been an ash tray too!

TinIndian and metron like this.
  4. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Boneyard,

Thanks for the recommendation. I pulled the pup out and isolated it, but the problem still persisted. The bridge pup is stuck in single coil + bass boost mode and never switches to humbucking. The upper coil is much quieter when using an allen wrench touches it. All other coils are fine. I am assuming it is a bum coil. Has anyone ever had an L2000e slot pup rewound?

5. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

That's a drag. Good luck!

6. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    I had a vintage G&L pickup rewound by the fine folks at Nordstrand, and they did a perfect job.

Before you do that, I would suggest un-soldering the pickup leads from the switch, etc., in the control cavity and measure the resistance of each coil. That will tell you if the problem is in the pickup or elsewhere.

7. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Agree with @4stringsjack that you should diagnose a little more before sending the pickup out. The way you’re describing it sounds like a switch issue or wiring issue.

8. Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    Thanks Chef, I'll have to bring a practice amp down there. But it's kind of a no brainier at only $500 if I like it.

pjbassist, TinIndian and metron like this.
  9. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Other than both having curly hair and commonly seen playing bass at a high level, I'm thinking no.:cautious:

10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    $500? If the neck is good, grab it!

TinIndian, AGH and metron like this.
  11. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for all of the help. I had my tech look at the wiring and based on the early l2000e schematic, it all looked solid. I will dig further. I would assume that if it is a switch issue, then there would be also an issue with the neck pickup running through the switch (which works fine). Is this accurate?

12. Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    It was straight, looked like it had just been set up (new strings and such). I might just bring an alan wrench with me to check that the truss rod is not broken or maxed out. It could also be stolen, it is at a pawn shop

TDR1138, TinIndian and metron like this.
  13. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I saw that one. Cool bass! Probably a little more aggressive than Fender but I don't have a ton of exp with the '51 or tele designs. I had a slab SB-2 for a few years and used the neck pup solo whenever I thought a P bass approximation was needed for a tune. As Chef said, I think it's got it's own vibe. It's a great deal as long as the neck is true and the pickup is good.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    TinIndian and Rattfink like this.
  14. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Not an L series but there is another yellow El Toro. Came across it a few weeks ago but unfortunately, the price is a little high for me.

15. AngelMoncada

AngelMoncada

Oct 4, 2016
    Finally a good demo with a true pro playing the instrument!

Joshua, pjbassist, Nedmundo and 4 others like this.
  16. Ha, that's an old ad. That's actually my bass, had it for years already.

metron likes this.
  17. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Ha I almost inquired about it!

18. You still can....ask away! ;)

metron likes this.
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Can whoever posted the picture with 1505, Kiloton, 1000, 2000 pickup layout compared point me to that post number please and thanks

Or re-post

thanks

pjbassist likes this.
  20. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

@Chef

This one?

Chef likes this.