1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes
    Thank you

2. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    So I have finally been able to go and play the Kiloton in a band setting and it is a wonderful bass. Strung with Chromes and with the pole pieces down as much as I could get them, I am able to get the tone I wanted. I was searching for a beefy Jazz bridge pickup sound with more low end and thicker mids and I got it. No clankiness, no nasally tones, just perfect funkified finger style tone that is both vintage and modern with the roll of the tone knob. My only gripe is that I wish the pickup was a few mm closer to the neck because I like to rest my thumb on it but otherwise it really is a cool bass and the neck on mine is incredible, best G&L neck I’ve ever played and I’ve played many!

wmmj, AGH, pjbassist and 3 others like this.
  3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    “Kiloton....thumb rest.”

Yeah. That messed with me a bit too.

AGH, pjbassist and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  4. Here's my 1981 L2000. As you can see (despite the rather crappy cell phone pics) it's been played a lot. It supposedly was owned by a touring musician. When he passed away his nephew inherited it, but as he wasn't a bass player he eventually sold it to his neighbour. He already had a favourite bass, so after some years I bought it. I've had it a couple of months now, and so far I love it so much that I'm gonna spend some money on having it PLEKed. The wiring is also wrong for the model year (wired as a newer L2000), so I'm gonna have that fixed as well.

- March 1981
    - Ebony board/ash (?) body.
    - Trans red nitro laquer.
    - 9lbs7oz (wouldn't mind if it was a pound lighter, but could have been worse)

l2000_1.

l2000_2.

PluckyThump, wmmj, nismaniac and 14 others like this.
  5. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I finally got to play my tribute LB-100 with my big band. I cut some mids and treble on the amp, tone on the bass around 25-50%.

It did the warm p bass thing very well. I couldn't be happier.

metron, AGH, pjbassist and 1 other person like this.
  6. Thanks a lot, my friend! Both are able to find here, and I can buy in Ebay or any Site with Worldwide's Shipping.

Nedmundo likes this.
  7. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    That's what made me buy a 2 pickup bass. In fact my new (used) USA L2500 should be here in a few days.
    I like to rest my thumb depending on which pickup and plucking area I want to use.
    Yeah, I know. I should use the floating thumb technique, but I haven't for 45 years so that's not likely to happen.

AGH, /\/\3phist0 and pjbassist like this.
  8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The kiloton and 1505 speak well using that lone pickup for a thumbrest.
    But when I want to move up closer to the neck I just use the B string as a thumb rest ;—)

wmmj, AGH, jefff100 and 3 others like this.
  9. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Thumb anchoring was the main reason I gave myself for moving a L-1500 out of my house... ironically since then I started floating my thumb a bit naturally (though not 100%).

10. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    So, you got rid of it because it was a 5 string, or because you didn't like the bass?

Edit: How do you just start doing it naturally? Did you work on it here and there and now it's coming together or what?

11. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    The strings can start to feel too rigid for me if I get too close to the bridge. That's why I can't commit 100% to just a 'bridge' pickup.
    I use hex-core strings so I'm too old to change that, too.

12. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    That's a great looking bass. I wouldn't try to pretty it up, either.

13. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I had a L-1500, 4 string. Liked it a lot, but didn’t love it. But the thumb rest options (or lack thereof) was something I couldn’t work around at the time.

As far as the floating thumb technique, really started with me playing the bass higher on a strap or seated. Really just adapted to it by playing a single coil P bass and trying to vary tone with hand position, using plucking positions to get different tone. And being overly aware of not anchoring a thumb on the fragile SCPB pickup.

14. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Aha! Yeah, that bare pickup. I see. Thanks.

15. Is that a red El Toro seen in the left rear of the SB-1 demo video???

16. When I got it, the whole bass was pretty much covered in «gunk». 20 odd years in smoky bars, and probably no proper cleaning. The only thing I’ve done (besides cleaning the whole bass, and oiling the fretboard) is replacing the bridge saddles. Some of the height adjustment screws were stripped, and it was easier and cheaper to replace the saddles, than just the screws.

I like the look of it as it is. The honest wear telle the story of the bass.

17. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Nah, only had two knobs. Guessing a Lynx with that body shape.

metron likes this.
  18. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    Tonight's gig at the Udder Place in Turlock.
    These are the selections. The SB2 is wearing GHS boomers 45_105 broken in on another bass, and DNA soaked.
    Sparkle is wearing EB Cobalt Flats, which are still not broken in yet.
    IMG_20180811_081412246_HDR.
    Bringing the Mesa SW D800, 115. And the board. The Broughton will solve the problem with the Sub right next to my rig. They pull the DI to FOH from the Mesa, so I can tame the boom in the room :)
    IMG_20180710_194017526_LL.

PluckyThump, metron, dave64o and 2 others like this.
  19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    G&L Silver Sparkle is killer...

pjbassist, dave64o and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  20. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    That Silver Sparkle looks sort of like its 3D. I really can't see the poly in the picture.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.