1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Congrats, that's a really rare bass! I've had a couple of alnico L-1000s and many MFD versions and you hit the description just right - the alnico is a little less aggressive, a little smoother, a little less output. Very good sounding pickup!

pjbassist likes this.
  2. gunai

gunai

Dec 22, 2016
    Anyone knows what's the exact material G&L uses for the black pearl dots on maple fingerboards?
    Googling black pearl pickguards returned a lot of results that don't look quite as nice, but perhaps it's due to the smaller size of the dots.

Been thinking about matching the pickguard on my natural SB-1 to the dots.

Band Mom likes this.
  3. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Has anyone here put a preamp such as Nordstrand or Audere in their JB? I’m considering getting one for my JB that has Dimarzio J pups. I feel like the bass could use a little extra oomph! Thanks

4. ahadl2500

ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Not in a JB, but I have both preamps.

I have the Nordstrand 2B-4C (Volume, blend, bass, treble, passive tone, active/passive push pull on the volume) on an Ibanez SR885LE. Bass has Nordstrand warm and wooly Big Blade single coils. I love this preamp and pickup pairing. Particularly the ability to run passive like a standard Jazz preamp. In active mode with everything flat, it hits the passive tone exactly (the passive tone knob works here too). Use the bass/treble to dial in from there.

The Audere is in a USA Peavey Millennium Plus. It is the 4 band Pro Z version of the preamp. The bass has Bartolini Classic Series MM J pickups with a coil tap on the MM (series/parrallel/single coil). This is an extremely versatile preamp. Even with the MM in single coil mode (since you are asking about a Jazz bass). The Z mode switch adds quite a bit of versatility, but it takes time to get used to.

Go for the Nordstrand if you like your passive tone, but want to be able to dial things in with the active preamp. It is also nice to have active/passive that is usable when/if the battery dies. To me the Nordstrand hits classic jazz bass with a little extra.

Go for the Audere if you want versatility and are willing to learn the pre. It does not really do classic jazz bass as easily as the Nordstrand to me (it is in there, but so are a ton of other tones). Once you get used to it, it is a nice pre.

For my personal tastes, I would go with the Nordstrand. However, I really like getting classic Jazz bass tone with the pull of a knob.

In related news. If/when I add a JB to my current G&L set (currently an L2500 and L5000) it will be getting Nordstrand Big Blade pickups. I really like those pickups. Had Bartolinis in the SR885 before them. The Barts were good. The Nordstrands are great.

5. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Audere actually offers *two* types of drop-in preamps with a jazz bass plate: the Pro Z which you describe and their standard Jazz bass pre. It's still 4 bands plus volume and blend on three stacked controls. No fishing around, the jazz bass sound is right there. This pre is about a third less than the Pro Z and also allows independent setting of the levels of the two pickups when each is wide open. Great preamp.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I’ve got an L-2500 I want to try flats on. Looking for something to give it a less aggressive tone and wondering what flats others like on their Ls and why. I typically use extra light strings. Thanks

7. ahadl2500

ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    TI Jazz Flats. Running JF365 set on my L2500. Does a great job of mellowing the tone a little. TI flats are the best feeling flats I have tried. They do not feel as stiff as other flats to me. Seems like the perfect fit for what you are after. Only downside with the TI flats is price. That said, they keep their tone for an absurdly long time in my experience.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    GroovyBaby likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I use GHS black nylon tapewounds on my L2000...a match made in heaven.
    I’ll be buying an SB-2T or another L2000 in January and I already have a set of GHS tapewounds for whatever I get.

pjbassist and GroovyBaby like this.
  9. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I’ve heard great things about those so might give them a try. The low B is solid?

10. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

TIs are my favorite flats on the L2k as well, but Chrome's are also great and much cheaper.

Just my $0.02.

11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

LaBella LTF less coin than the TIs.
    80% of the good aspects.

GroovyBaby and Mktrat like this.
  12. ahadl2500

ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    It certainly is. As long as you have your pickups adjusted correctly, they have a nice even response across all strings. When I say as long as they are adjusted correctly, I did not have to adjust when I switched to the flats. Just pointing out that pickup adjustment could change your result.

GroovyBaby likes this.
  13. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just left that other thread and saw that bass...dude...buy it, you must!

14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Here are my three. 2013 LB-100. 2016 JB nitro finish. 2018 SB-2T. With the nitro finish, the JB is getting banged up in a hurry. (Which is cool) Have had to replace two tuners that rattled but otherwise am really happy. LB-100 neck is quarter-sawn and super stable. 227F75AD-4F67-4919-AB3A-10CBB54A2754.

15. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    I really like that SB-2. I used to have a late 80s SB-2 in that same sunburst/maple configuration but sold it because it was so heavy and the neck had this sticky feel to it I couldn’t get used to. Yours seems like it’s everything I wanted that SB-2 to be.

Max and jmlee like this.
  16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thanks. 8.6 lbs. Greg at Rocket Music gets some light ones. Plus the smaller body size. Pickup are hot. It’s a great one.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  17. Lasse Vuorsola

Lasse Vuorsola

Aug 31, 2016
    Stockholm
    My L-2000 producing some heaviness in the style of Royal Blood (or Muse or Rage against the machine, I mean they all have the same ingredients in their respective soups)

metron, Max, Kriegs and 1 other person like this.
  18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wow!!!! The SB caught my eye first because no finish gets my attention like a nice burst (yep, I'm THAT guy! :D). But a close second is a G&L metal flake finish, and that mirror pickguard takes that LB over the top.

/\/\3phist0, Max and R&B like this.
  19. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    So not a lot of love for the JB tone?

Ive been meaning to single coil my l2k for some time but haven’t. Anyone A-B the single coil L2k and a JB?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 5:45 PM
  20. Beautiful LPB bass.

Did you get the factory hard shell case?

jaime