1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Butterscotch?
    Congrats! :)

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Beautiful!!! I don't think I ever saw a Tribute in that finish.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

TonyP- and fcleff like this.
  3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    No offense meant to Steve or his chops, but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again... He has too much fret buzz in his demos to the point that it really doesn’t do the instrument any justice. Sorry, it just gets to me.

pjbassist, RandM and TonyP- like this.
  4. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks. I love it. Especially that maple fretboard.

dave64o and TonyP- like this.
  5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I get it...Him and I were chatting when He first sent me the video and was unsure about sharing it because of the fret buzz, we all can hear it in this video.
    To be honest he said run with it because there isn’t really much out there demonstrating the SCM. I think maybe just 1 video.
    I’m not sure I really hear it the other videos BUT I play hard with a bit a grind, even harder then Steve so I might be immune-ish (for lack of a better word).

Possibly a good suggestion would be to have a set of videos with higher action :bookworm: (serious)

There is a possibility that I will be working with a new media team later this winter (post NAMM) If that is the case I might start doing some of the videos myself.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    My CLF L-2500 will most certainly have it. It is it’s own sound for sure.

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. As will mine.

TonyP- likes this.
  8. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I appreciate Steve’s enthusiasm for the demos and the product. He does have good chops. And frankly, I’d love to be in his position, doing what he’s doing. But it’s not the first time that I think fret buzz has gotten in the way of an otherwise good demo. I can’t have buzz like that in my gig situation. Gotta be a nice clean tone, and I know G&Ls can sound pretty dang good that way, so that’s what I think a demo should be.

pjbassist, RandM and TonyP- like this.
  9. Yes, the fret buzz thing is...weird. I've heard it on some of his other demos, like the demo of the M2000 and others. I've heard this kind of thing on other people's demos too. It's not just Steve.

I just figured that fret buzz is something that Steve and people liked, for some reason. Maybe some kind of hip new thing that I wasn't aware of...being neither hip nor new, I figured I just didn't get the memo about it.

To me, it distracts from the sound of the bass. Personally, I set up my basses for no fret buzz. I want to hear the bass, not the strings clanging on the neck.

The world is a wild and crazy place and if people who do videos want to include fret buzz...I guess I will deal with it! But many times, I have listened to demos and wondered "Why did he decide to have this buzz and clang all through the video?".

John

TDR1138 likes this.
  10. The bass in this demo uses the outer coils in SCM. When I ordered my L-2500 with SCM, it didn't occur to me to specify wich coils to use. I assumed outer coils was standard, but I was wrong; mine uses the inner coils.
    I really like the sound of either pickup solo'd in SCM on my bass, but not really both pickups in SCM. The bass in the demo sounds really nice to me with both coils/SCM.
    So I guess it really makes a difference.

metron likes this.
  11. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I thought all the swirl finished I've seen were '96 but now you have me second guessing. Maybe it was a few years in the mid 90s they offered that finish? They are pretty rare though and they sure look cool.

12. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Same here. I didn't specify and got inners on my L2K which is fine. That might be the default configuration. The individual coils are cool, especially the neck solo. Both inners is a bit too midrangey sounding for my liking if that makes any sense. Eventually I will change it to outers.

BobaMosfett and Boitameuh like this.
  13. Boitameuh

Boitameuh

Dec 11, 2014
    France
    I'm planning to use the mod with inner coils on my L-2000, but I wonder how it differs from the outer coils config. Is one of you kind enough to record a quick parallel/inner coils/series soundclip ?

14. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I briefly wired up my L2K to be able to select inner and outer coils on each pickup independently. After a lot of testing, I liked the sound of both north coils both combined and soloed best so I changed up the switches to a series/north/parallel on each pickup and I am very happy with the results. I didn't really find a whole lot of difference between inner and outer to be honest, but both north coils I kept coming back to.

Good Luck!

15. Boitameuh

Boitameuh

Dec 11, 2014
    France
    By north you mean closer to the neck ? I think I kinda lean towards this sound... Any sample to share with us btw?

gidbass likes this.
  16. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I added the single coil mode on my ‘00 L2k. I originally did the inner coils. Right now I’m set up with outer. I changed it just to see how different it is. Unfortunately no ability to record sound samples.

On the neck pickup, the outer coil is a little bassier or tubbier, whereas the inner coil is more focused and clearer. I really like the neck inner coil solo. Probably my favorite of any of the single coil settings.

On the bridge pickup, the inner coil is a little fuller, and the outer coil is brighter and snappier. In either setting, I wouldn’t really use the bridge pickup solo, but I really wouldn’t do that even in series or parallel either. I’m just not a soloed bridge pickup kind of guy...

With both on, the inner coils have more midrange, and the outers have more scoop to them. Either work well, but I feel the inner coils sit a little easier in the mix.

Suffice to say I prefer the inner coils, but only just slightly. I’m too lazy to change it now. Inner coil on the neck is what the single coil mode on the L1k does, so I’ve got that covered anyway.

gidbass, BobaMosfett and Boitameuh like this.
  17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Correct, I can solo both north coils of each pickup.

I like both north coils as the single neck is about in the P bass sweet spot and sounds fantastic soloed, or mixed for that matter...;)

The bridge/north pickup gets me closer to ric territory with that one, but it is about .75" short of the same location on my ric. Neck pickup is about 4.25" from the saddles, and the bridge north pickup is about 3.5". If i boost the bass a bit on that one in SCM it's absolutely fantastic sounding soloed!

I don't have any sound samples recorded, but I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

Boitameuh likes this.
  18. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Jersey Pine Barrens
    I dig those chicken heads

fcleff likes this.
  19. RE: fret buzz; I do a lot of session work, and while I strive to play cleanly, I also learned a long time ago that the fret buzz you hear when soloing a bass track can actually work a bit like glue in the mix. It's an odd phenomenon, and definitely not true across the board. Depends on the musical style, etc. Sometimes just a little EQ is all you need to make it not dominate, but still work in the mix.

Years ago I was talking to a childhood bass hero who later went on to engineer and produce some big name records. He was the first to tell me that the "dirt" in a track could actually give the same bass part some life and character. The more rock and funk sessions I did, the more I found that to be true. It was as much attitude as anything. Playing all clean and proper can at times detract from the attitude you might want in a track.

I don't regret for one second learning how to play as cleanly as possible, but I also don't worry about it any more when I hear a little buzz because I know that it's going to most likely benefit the mix. That's my approach, FWIW. Certainly not for everyone.

The Nameless, R&B, TomB and 4 others like this.
  20. Thanks for sharing your point of view and experience.

I can understand that sometimes it is desirable and wanted.

Personally, I’d go nuts with all that clanging. But to each is own!

John

jmlee and lowfreqgeek like this.