Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L conversion from 3-bolt to 6-bolt?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know roughly what year this happened? Around what time did they start making 5-strings and did any of the 5'ers have a 3 bolt neck or front mounted electronics?:confused:

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Their first 5 string came around 1988 - the L-5000 had really tight string spacing. They started making a 5 with normal string spacing around '93 with the L-5500. By '95 they brought out the L-2500. The L-5500 and L-2500 always had 6 bolts, early on they had neck plates, too. Around '97 they changed the headstock from 4+1 to 3+2, made the bridge string-through, got rid of the neck plate and went with neck screws with ferrules, and changed the body shape slightly. Sometime in '98 they started switching over the 4 strings to 6 bolts and the same body shape change.

3. what is the main difference between the L2500 and L5500?

4. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Main difference is the pickups. The L-2500 replaced the L-5500 when G&L started making their own MFDs for 5 strings. The L-5500 had second-party pups, but I forgot who made them. I know that they were a standard sized 5 string soap bar pups. There are a few MORE differences, but they are slight.

5. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I used to play an L-5500 everytime I went to this one crappy music shop that had a NOS one. It had EMG pickups on it and the string spacing sucked. It wasn't a horrible bass, but if you don't guitar-like string spacing, I'd look elsewhere.