1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Convert

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Eublet, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Okay, I think I'm a G&L convert here. I've played Stingrays and Jazz basses in the past, and loved them but always felt there had to be something more...more growl in the Jazz, or more bottom end in the Ray. I thought the SR5 HH would be it, and while it was nice, I wound up being a bit disappointed by it. I've tried many a modern-sounding bass to get a growly sound with an old-school vibe, but never found one that did the trick.

So there's this mom and pop shop in a strip mall where I used to have an office. I walked in there for months and eye-balled a Tribute L-2500 on the wall. Never touched it. I'm talking 6 months. This past Friday, I walked in to play with it, and the strings are so dead it's hard to tell what it'll sound like. Surprisingly, the fretwork is really good. This it the Korean model, not the Indonesian. So I start dealing with the guy over it just to see what he'll do. It's been there forever, and they need to keep stuff moving. I wind up walking out with it at a VERY good price.

Take her home, put on some DR Low-riders, and it sounds instantly better. I'm only playing through a little GK Backline 110 combo which is my practice amp. My rig is at church, where I show up this morning to rehearse and then play. The bass was freakin' awesome. I don't know that I've ever had one feel and sound that good right out of the gate. It was amazing. Our sound guy is a bass player, along with a few other guys, and they were as excited as I was. I bring new basses here all the time, and they just laugh at me for being such a gas'er, but they were giddy over this one. They kept telling me how great it sounded, and I was smiling big cause I already knew it did on stage. I was really floored by this bass, and that doesn't happen to me very often.

The only bad thing. I'm wondering now if I should look for a USA model. I bought this one because I was thinking it would be a good bass to gig out with. A beater bass that I wouldn't have to worry about. But after this morning, I'm feeling like I should pamper this one.

The bass was growly like a Ray, but had a nice HH sound reminiscent of a Jazz. The front pup had a very useable P-bass type tone rather than a hollow sound like most basses do. The rear pup is very growly and punchy...just deadly.

I ran the bass passive most of the time, with the bass/treble all the way. Not sure if I was in series or parallel mode, but it was the mode that has the most bass and mids.

Sorry for rambling here, but I was just taken aback big time. I've heard others rave about G&L's for every, and I just didn't really pay attention. I wish I had listened sooner. I think I'll be looking into more G&L's!

2. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Congratulations on the great find.

My main bass is my MIA L2500 which fills the bill quite nicely every Sunday in our contemporary service.
    I'm also using the DR LO-Riders but with a .120 B, presently strung through the bridge but I'm going to try through the body my next change.

Settings:
    Presently Parallel,
    Both pups,
    Depending on the material, passive or Active with treble 50% plus or minus,
    Bass 40 to 60%
    Volume 60 to 70%

That bass should serve you in good stead for a long time. I don't think you would find any tonal difference between the Trib and the Mia according to what I've read on the forum.

So play that puppy and enjoy and keep smiling!

Larry

3. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Thanks man. The bass plays GREAT right now. I'm just wondering if it'll hold up well being a Tribute. Things like frets wearing quickly, especially with SS strings, bad pots, neck movement, etc. Do the MIA basses have a single piece neck as well?

Perhaps I shouldn't think about it so much and just enjoy the darn thing. I must say that the quality seems to be really good for the price. The finish especially looks nice.

4. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Other than some finish choices and possibly type of tuners used, your Tribs construction should parallel the Mia G&L.

From the G&L site:

G&L's latest neck construction is the result of intensive research and development, using our latest Computer Aided Design (CAD) efforts, computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) technology, special diagnostic functions of our Plek machine, and of course, the skilled hands and ears of our craftsmen.

Our latest construction methodology uses a one piece neck blank with the truss rod installed underneath the fingerboard. In the case of an all-maple neck, a layer of the maple neck blank is sliced off, and this slice becomes the fingerboard, ensuring a consistent appearance of a solid, one-piece maple neck.

Your great bass will likely make stroking notes a pleasure for you and your listeners for a long time.

Larry

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

The US necks are actually different than the Tribs:
    This contemporary design incorporates a secondary, flat-sided rod which bows away from primary rod. Unlike a vintage truss rod, this design does not compress the neck longitudinally in order to function; compression contributes to distortion of the fingerboard curvature. Operation is both fluid and accurate with the articulation of the neck, the "relief", being very consistent across the length of the neck. Unlike similar rods available today, G&L's rod has an additional anchor for the heel end of the neck, to help ensure long-term stability and ensure that the rod will never shear through the adjustment end of the neck. Finally, the channel for the rod is also carefully designed to provide a snug fit for the rod while ensuring free and complete articulation.

Tribs have standard constuction method necks.

6. Congrats Eublet. Cool to see the dude who turned my attention to Genz-Benz gear checking out G&Ls and loving them. If you want to get a USA model it's up to you. The used market is very reasonable toward USA G&Ls, and if you get one new you can order it pretty much to the specs that you want. There will be minimal difference from the Tribute though.

7. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    Thanks Lug, I appreciate the clarification.
    Larry

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Hey, man! I wish you'd have talked me into G&L at the time. I can't believe these basses don't get more recognition. The sound is really superb, and the neck feels great in my hands. I love the string spacing on the 2500 as well. And mine is a sunburst finish that just looks great. Very old-school, with a modern appeal from the pickups. Just thrilled with it!

By the way, I ran the 2500 through my Neo-pak on top of the Genz 212/112 cabs. It was just killer. I can't wait to put the GBE 1200 on top and really let 'er rip!

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You're more than welcome. It sounds like a really neat idea, would love to see some construction pics of this.