G&L Custom Shop Pricing

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jan 30, 2018.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    G&L-Custom-Shop-Logo.jpg

I just received the price list for the new G&L Custom Shop! This looks really interesting, and the prices strike me as very reasonable.

Here's a list of things that all Custom Shop instruments will have in common. The highlights for me are the think skin urethane finish, the custom shop pickups, and the careful wood selection if the customer has some specific wants in terms of weight, color and grain pattern.

CUSTOM SHOP COMMON SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES

Unless noted in the model listing, the following standard specifications are shared among models in this price list.

Neck wood:
    hard rock maple with Caribbean Rosewood or maple fingerboard
    Frets: medium-jumbo Senko 18% Nickel Silver
    Nut: 100% natural bone
    Pickguard (where applicable): 3-ply white
    Case: Custom Shop Deluxe Tolex

Standard bridges for various models. Exceptions or additional features are noted in model listings.
    ASAT Classic variants: G&L traditional boxed steel bridge with six brass saddles
    All other ASAT models, Fallout: G&L Saddle Lock bridge with brass saddles
    All Legacy, S-500, Doheny, Comanche: G&L Dual-Fulcrum Vibrato with brass saddles and brass block

All 4-string basses: G&L Saddle Lock bridge with brass saddles
    All 5-string basses: G&L Saddle Lock bridge with brass saddles

Body Wood. Hand-selected for weight or grain pattern where applicable. Hand sanding.
    Hand-inspected thru every process step to ensure accuracy of craftsmanship and detail. Custom Shop staff responsible for all sanding processes up to and including post finish polish.

Thin Skin Urethane finish for both body and neck
    Urethane offers the durability of a Poly finish with the sonic benefit of a thin lacquer finish offering the player a balanced tone foundation.

World-class fretwork finishing including Plek process ensuring the ultimate in player comfort and feel.
    In addition to offering the most popular neck shapes and radii, our necks offer a feel and comfort of a truly classic instrument that is painstakingly crafted by our Custom Shop staff.

Custom Shop Pickups
    Backed by our decades-long innovation expertise, G&L Custom Shop pickups offer individually machine-wound bobbins to exacting specifications. Hand wound options available (see options section)

Tuners / Machine Heads. Exceptions or additional features are noted in model listings.
    All guitars: G&L sealed back with tapered post
    All basses: G&L Ultra-Lite with aluminum tapered post

There are a bunch of guitar models available, but since this is TalkBass I'll just list the bass options. PM me if you'd like any info on the guitar stuff, and I'll happily share it.

And here are the starting prices on the available Custom Shop models:
    ASAT Bass: $3575 MSRP / $2500 INTERNET
    ASAT Bass Semi-Hollow: $3935 MSRP / 2750 INTERNET
    L-2000: $3575 MSRP / $2500 INTERNET
    L-2500: $3720 MSRP / $2600 INTERNET
    M-2000: $3575 MSRP / $2500 INTERNET
    M-2500: $3720 MSRP / $2600 INTERNET
    LB-100: $3220 MSRP / $2250 INTERNET
    KILOTON: $3290 MSRP / $2300 INTERNET
    KILOTON 5: $3435 MSRP / $2400 INTERNET
    JB: $3290 MSRP / $2300 INTERNET
    JB-5: $3435 MSRP / $2400 INTERNET
    SB-1: $3220 MSRP / $2250 INTERNET
    SB-2: $3290 MSRP / $2300 INTERNET

2. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    And here are more of the options that are available. Mostly the same as the US Production models.

Standard Finishes included at no charge over an Alder body:
    2-Tone Sunburst
    3-Tone Sunburst
    Alpine White
    Belair Green
    Candy Apple Red Metallic
    Cherryburst
    Emerald Blue Metallic
    Emerald Green Metallic
    Fullerton Red
    Galaxy Black
    Graphite Metallic
    Himalayan Blue
    Jet Black
    Lake Placid Blue Metallic
    Margarita Metallic
    Old School Tobacco Sunburst
    Pearl White
    Rally Red
    Royal Purple Metallic
    Ruby Red Metallic
    Shell Pink
    Shoreline Gold
    Silver Metallic
    Sonic Blue
    Surf Green
    Tangerine Metallic
    Tobacco Sunburst
    Vintage White

Premier Finishes Over Ash: $143 MSRP / $100 INTERNET
    Blonde*
    Butterscotch Blonde*
    Blackburst**
    Blueburst
    Clear Blue
    Clear Forest Green
    Clear Orange
    Clear Red
    Greenburst
    Honey Honeyburst
    Lemon Drop**
    Natural
    Redburst
    Vintage Natural**
    Whiskey
    *: Available on Swamp Ash Only
    **: Available on Swamp Ash or Maple Tops

Metal Flake Finishes (Over Alder): $215 MSRP / $150 INTERNET
    Blue Flake
    Gold Flake
    Green Flake
    Orange Flake
    Red Flake
    Silver Flake
    Turquoise Flake

NITRO Finishes: $429 MSRP / $300 INTERNET
    3-Tone Sunburst
    Butterscotch Blonde
    Candy Apple Red Metallic
    Cherryburst
    Clear Orange
    Fiesta Red
    Jet Black
    Lake Placid Blue Metallic
    Natural
    Olympic White
    Shell Pink
    Shoreline Gold
    Silver Metallic
    Sonic Blue
    Tobacco Sunburst
    Vintage White

Premium Flame Maple Top: $429 MSRP / $300 INTERNET
    Premium Quilt Maple Top: $644 MSRP / $450 INTERNET
    (Blonde and Butterscotch Blonde are not available with Premium Maple Tops)

Body Wood Substitutions For Alder:
    Swamp Ash: $143 MSRP / $100 MSRP
    Lightweight American Basswood: $72 MSRP / $50 INTERNET
    Mahogany: $215 MSRP / $150 INTERNET

Binding and Pickguard choices/prices are the same as for US Production models.

The Custom Shop offers aging (urethane finishes only) for those who want a relic'd look: $300 MSRP / $200 INTERNET
    Light Aging: Includes finish and hardware that resembles an instrument that has some age, but has been well taken care of
    Medium aging: Includes finish and hardware that shows age as well as moderate use

Alnico pickups hand-wound on original winder made by Leo Fender and used by him in at CLF Research beginning in 1967: $143 MSRP / $100 INTERNET

LB-100 – split coil

CLF-96-LB-N Handwound with wind specs based on ’96 LB-100 split coil. 42 gauge wire and 10,500 turns, approx. 7.6kΩ
    CLF-57-LB-N Handwound with wind specs based on Leo’s 1957 pickup. 42 gauge wire and 10,000 turns, approx. 7.2kΩ slightly hotter with 42 gauge wire and 10,500 turns, approx. 7.6kΩ

JB - single coil

CLFBCLF-06-JB-N- Handwound with wind specs based on ’2006 JB. 42 gauge wire and 8500 turns, approx. 7.3kΩ
    CLF-06-JB-B Handwound with wind specs based on ’2006 JB. 42 gauge wire and 8500 turns, approx. 7.3kΩ
    CLF-62-JB-N- Handwound with wind specs based on Leo’s 1962 pickup. 42 gauge wire and 9000 turns, approx. 7.6kΩ
    CLF-62-JB-B Handwound with wind specs based on Leo’s 1962 pickup. 42 gauge wire and 9000 turns, approx. 7.6kΩ

L-2000 / L-2500 Electronics Option:
    Single Coil Mode: $72 MSRP / $50 INTERNET

Neck profiles, radii choices, neck woods, fretboard woods, frets, nuts, tuners, blocks, neck tint and neck binding mirror the US Production model options.

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Probably not the most important question, but what is a deluxe tolex case - a G&G-style case, or something new? Thx.

4. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    The US Production instruments all ship in what they call a deluxe tolex case, so I don't think this custom shop one will be radically different from the normal G&L cases. It'll probably just have some decorative thing (like a logo or something) that lets you know it's a custom shop bass inside.

pjbassist likes this.
  5. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Mahogany as a body option - nice!

6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah. And I meant to do a comparison, just for fun's sake.

Say we take an L-2000 with no options.
    US Production L-2000 = $2285 MSRP / $1599 INTERNET
    Custom Shop L-2000 = $3575 MSRP / $2500 INTERNET

So you're looking at a roughly $900 difference. That gets you the thin urethane finish, a Custom Shop pickup (not the hand-wound one, that's a mild upcharge), a hand sanded body, the custom shop case, and a skilled baby sitter to make sure everything goes perfectly with your build. Plus whatever pride you derive from swimming in the Custom Shop waters.

All in all, that strikes me as reasonable. I'm sure there will be those who disagree, which is fine. Nothing at all wrong with the US Production ones, they'll still be available, as well. Same as it ever was.

mwbonsall and pjbassist like this.
  7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I dig it.
    Seems to fall in line with Fender's "Master Built" Custom Shop basses as far as
    having someone babysit an instrument the whole way through the production process.
    Overall I'd say the prices are pretty fair for what you're getting.
    I am curious how the L series CS pickups would differ from the standard production pickups, other than being hand wound.

AngelMoncada likes this.
  8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    So is a deluxe tolex case the “old-fashioned” Fender-style (G&G) as opposed to the molded plastic cases G&L went to for many years? That must be it - nice!

9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yep, it's a G&G style black tolex covered hardshell case. Not the molded type.

TomB likes this.
  10. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm not seeing any mention of the L-2000 pickups being different, other than being wound very closely to spec. Maybe those haven't varied much over the years?

For most of the guitar pickups, they're offering specs that Leo designed back in the 50's and 60's. The LB-100 and JB pickups seem to offer a choice of old (1957 P or 1962 J) and newer designs (1996 P, 2006 JB). Leo died in 1991, so I guess the newer ones do not come directly from him (unless maybe G&L was mining his old designs at those times). The L-2000 might never have evolved much, especially since it was essentially an evolution of the Music Man stuff.

pjbassist likes this.
  11. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Do you know if it's possible to get an SB-2 (or SB-1 for that matter) back-routed with no pickguard (like an L-2000, for instance)?

pjbassist, GlennRH and bdgotoh like this.
  12. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That is often an option, even with the US Production models. PD is the code for "Pickguard Delete", and they offer that on some but not all models.

I'll check with G&L and get back to you regarding whether PD applies on these two specific models.

Cheers,
    Greg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    pjbassist, GlennRH, osv and 1 other person like this.
  13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    While I have no substantial evidence to support my assertion, to my ears, there seems to be a difference between the tone of my '81 Wunkay and my '14 Wunkay. Almost as if the newer pickup is hotter as it is an overall "woolier" tone. Evem with the same height, the '81 has less output. The '81 is a bit clearer and less congest in the mids. G&L/CLF might have some documentation of pickup specs from the early days and materials used compared to later versions.

14. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Interesting. I'd certainly put more stock in your comments than mine. Mine are pure speculation.

I'll check with G&L, see what they have to say about the L2K pickups...

15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks Greg.
    I'm curious to hear what G&L has to say and if they could
    give some insight into any pickup variations there may have
    been throughout the years.

16. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Ron says they ran out of time (prepping for NAMM) to do anything with the L2K pickups, so those are today's pickups at the moment. But he says he does intend to get back to that for the Custom Shop options.

pjbassist likes this.
  17. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Understandable with NAMM and evreything. Interested in seeing if they make any changes to the L pickups from that of the standard production.

Side note, with them still not having the L-1000 in the standard line-up, the custom shop seems like a good way to bring it back.

18. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yep, and Ron has mentioned to me several times that he wants to do just that. I think getting the chrome control plate thing happening again for the CLF L2K was a step in that direction. He mentioned he wanted to bring that plate back if/when he brings back the L-1000.

19. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is it still possible to get options on a production model without having to go the “Custom Shop” route? For example, a 12” radius fretboard when 9-1/2” is standard? A 1-1/2” nut, when 1-5/8 is standard?
    Thanks for your help Greg. Still loving the special spec SB-2 that you ordered for me 2 years ago!

20. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Absolutely! Nothing is changing with the way they do the typical USA production or the options that they provide. They're just adding a Custom Shop layer for those who might like that.

Fred312b and osv like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021