1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD G&L El Toro for El Toro trade - my rosewood for your maple?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So, I'm wondering if any maple-fretboard El Toro owners might be willing to do a straight-across trade for my rosewood-fretboard El Toro. Might be a long shot, but this is Talkbass - stranger things have happened. I don't care about color so much, but my preference would be black, as I think black 'n maple is cool. Sunburst would be cool too.

Details below. I'm ONLY interested in maple fretboard G&L El Toros, at this time.

A 1986 G&L El Toro in a delicious vintage creme color with a dark chocolatey rosewood fretboard.

I own a '95 G&L L2000 so I've always been a fan of what many consider Leo's finest instruments. But it wasn't until I played this mid-80s El Toro that I realized how truly awesome his older instruments are. Holy. Freakin'. Monster. Tone! This thing is a BEAST. It's like a Jazz bass on steroids. The pickups are "G&L bi-pole pickups" - and anybody who knows G&Ls knows that their proprietary pickups will knock you on your butt. They're loud, punchy, and awesome. This bass is a rock machine. It can pretty much sound like a Jazz, a Precision, or whatever you want. According to some info I found online, the controls are: master volume; bass and treble controls; series/parallel/bass boost switch, 3-way pickup selector.

-1 5/8" nut width.
    -Weight is about 9.5 lbs.

Body is a creme/vintage white sort of color that was probably actually white at one time but has that great aged look, probably from 20+ years of playing in smokey bars. Fretboard is gorgeous dark rosewood that is pretty tightly grained, with some great-looking mother-of-pearl dot inlays. This particular bass has a natural headstock instead of the painted headstock that some El Toros have. I personally like the natural better - it's got a cool vintage gloss finish. The neck was re-finished and it appears to be a pro job. It's an awesome vintage tint gloss that appears to be just about flawless. The chrome tuners have some cloudiness that comes with age, but not any rust or pitting that I found. The body has some dings, scratches, and wear/buckle rash, particularly around the edge. There's a thin finish crack at the bridge and some checking near the butt strap button. Honestly, though, it's in great shape for a 25 year old bass and has just the right amount of "character." I am normally really picky about wear, tear, and scratches but none of the cosmetic flaws on this bass bother me - it just wouldn't be as cool if it were totally pristine. There is a small, thin piece of birdseye maple in the neck pocket acting as a shim. The bass has been set up and feels awesome to play. Action is great, tone is even better.

I have a hard case (black Fender/G&G) I can spare if I can also get a hard case on the trade.

Photos below. All photos here (tried to capture the flaws as well as I could.)

2. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    I see you are looking to trade but, do you have sell price ?

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I did - it was recently for sale - I was looking for $800 shipped. But I don't really want to sell it anymore. Right now just looking to trade.

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This rosewood beauty rocks. Played it yesterday. However I still would consider a trade for a maple one - or MAAAAYBE a black 'n maple older model SB-1 (P pickup only) with a black pickguard. No J-basses though - LOVE them but have 4 already.

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Would also trade for a "bowling ball" swirl finish G&L - maple fretboard preferred but open to anything. "P" style bass like an SB-1 preferred.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.