Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L electronics "problem"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ratzpaul, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Hi,

as the headline says, I've a G&L ASAT Bass whoch I really love, BUT recently I discovered a problem.

When hitting the strings really hard there's distortion coming out of the speakers. It's not the battery, I've tried 2 completely new ones and nothing changed. Also the old one was'nt bad at all.
    It's also not the amp or the speakers - I checked them with different basses at different volumes. So what?

The only idea I have is that the PU's are too close to the strings and that they kind of overdrive the electronics. Is this possible. I had the bass at a technician to set it up for me and it's possible that it's having the problem since then, although I'm not quite sure of that.

So, what do you think? Is it possible that the two Humbuckers are overdriving the electronics? As I said before, the battery is brand new and good.

Thanks, every idea / hint is greatly appreciated!

Greetz from austria,
    paul

2. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    You are right.I have a G&L L2000E that I have had since about 1990.When Leo made these basses, he hade the pickups so powerful that my E string actually would vibrate up and down as well as sideways.I had such a problem with false harmonics on that bass (on the E string) That Kevin Kaufman (Jaco's main tech here in W.P.B.) A ctually routed the pickup slots deeper so that he could bring the pickup down enough to eliminate the problem.That is what we did to reduce that problem.I know of a friend who teaches at Musicians institute in California that brought (my old Legacy) to John Corruthers (sp?) to reduce the output on the pickups to get the sound he wanted on that guitar as well .I am sure that there are many more qualified people here on this forum that could give you a better answer to your question, but I did experience the same problem.I am sure that there are probably better ways around it too by now, but what we did got around the problem back then.I still have the bass and I still love it, by the way.

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Have you tried posting this over at the dudepit? (http://p219.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm44). Those guys know everything. ;)

I know some have taken the springs out from under the p'ups--this allows them to fall lower into the body. Also, you can adjust your pole-pieces down as well.

Good luck!

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have had the same problem with my ASAT. I'm not trying to be a smart @*$, but you do realize that the knobs for bass and treble are cut only, so try backing off the bass and volume on your bass and turning up the volume on your amp more. On my SWR I've had to lower the gain much more than on any of my other basses, almost to 9 o'clock. So try this before you go routing out under the pickups. It took me a long time to understand how the controls affected the others.

5. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Cool, thanks guys!

I'm really eased now that I know that's not only my bass with this "feature".

First of all I'll try lowering the PU's and pole pieces, as this seems the easiest way to experiment. Thanks for the tip Scottie, but I don't think I would like cutting the controls all the time, although I'll try it.

I'm quite excited about the link to the G&L forum - now I know what to do the rest of the day :smug: - thanx for that.

So, have as much fun with your G&L's as I'm having and c.u.

Greetz,
    paul

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    If you do a search over there about pole piece adjustement or pickup adjustment you may find some cool thing. One that I remember showed a pattern for adjusting your pole-pieces so if you were lookinf for more of a p-bass tone there was one option, another for a stingray-- you get the picture. I just can't remember what thread that was. Sorry... :crying:

7. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    No offense taken, we're all here to help each other.I hope the problem has been resolved.We did play with the pole pieces ,and pickup height, and evrything else we could think of before we took the last step.Maybe it was just my bass, but the harmonics were off all the way up the neck,so bad in fact, that you could hear almost a chorus effect above the 7th fret.I haven't had that problem since.The pickups are more than powerful enough on the G&L's that you could probably put them behind the bass.Just my particular experience though.I have had 3 other G&L's over time(different models) that I did not have any problems with.

8. Did you also compensate for the active electronics compared to the other basses?

The output on the bass being pushed into the amp which doesn't have an active/passive switch or an input pad might be the problem.

9. I was thinking the same thing......

The bass is hot !

10. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Ok guys,

I played a little bit with pickup height and it seems to work, although I've nearly reached the bottom now. A little bit of distortion is still left when hitting real hard, but I'll have to see if it's going to annoy me at an rehersal.

@ the golden boy & fenderjazz68: yes, I compensated for the high output as I have an -15db pad plus the gain poti. Actually I was going so low with volume (gain as well as master) that I had to close every window in the room to hear the sound of the bass. This actually was one of my first thoughts too, but ... well, these pickups are really hot!

@ "no offense taken" - I don't know on what you refer to, but if I'm to blame for it then sorry - my english is not the best and I easily get messed up with different meanings of words in some circumstances.

Have a nice day, I'll go to sleep now! :p

greetz,
    paul

11. Glad you checked that! Hope you get it all sorted out- I love my G&L!