1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L fans: a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Dec 19, 2011.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So, after MUCH waffling, I'm selling my El Toro because I've decided, as cool and unique as it is, it's a little bit redundant in my collection of ten basses. I'm typically a Jazz bass guy, and the Toro is like a really hot J-bass on steroids. I also own a mid 90s L2000 that I bought in high school with my graduation money - it was my first "real" bass so I won't be selling it. I also own 5 other Jazz or Jazz-style basses, all with pretty hot pickups/preamps, so it's pretty easy for me to find those sounds when I want them. I have two P/Js but those aren't quite the same as owning a good solid P.

So I'm thinking I need an SB1 or an LB-100. I'm really jonesing for that swirly "bowling ball" finish that G&L uses ever-so-often. Despite how fragile it is, it sure looks cool. There's a gray swirl LB-100 I fond online at a shop. A little higher than I want to spend, but we'll see. And I have the opportunity to buy a swirl SB1, which is cheaper than the LB100 but more banged up. I'm definitely leaning toward the SB1 but wanted to get some opinions about the SB1 vs the LB100. I've heard the SB1 is way hotter, since it has the MFDs (which I like) - I'm leaning this way because I'm used to active basses. Although I was thinking of throwing an East P-Retro in either bass, either way - although $300 seems like a lot for an on-board preamp. Both basses I'm looking at are mid 90s, post Leo. I know it's probably crazy to sell a rare Leo-era El Toro in favor of a mid 90s G&L but sometimes we do crazy things :D

Another random question - does anyone know if the SB1's pickup covers can be swapped out for a standard Fender-sized cream cover? I think the pickup covers are probably the same size even if they're different shapes (MFDs are kinda rounded...)

Thanks!

2. yamark

yamark

Jun 6, 2009
    Lancaster, KY
    I don't think the covers can be swapped.

I am a huge fan of the SB series. I have a tribby and a US SB2. The volume on the SB series is a ton of fun to play around with. Cranked all the way, they get kind of aggressive and have a good deal of high end. Roll the volume back about 80% and it starts to sound more like a typical P bass. Roll the volume back to around 50% and you start to approach that old school P bass vibe.

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Cool. The pickup covers aren't a big deal, I was just curious. I know G&L *does* sell white split coil MFDs so I could go that rout if I really wanted to but it doesn't really matter.

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Any thoughts on the LB-100?

5. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I prefer the SB-1. The LB-100 is a quality bass, no doubt, but to me the tone to die for comes from Leo's MFD's. I can make the SB-1 appropriate to any situation ;)

6. That El Toro has been giving me gas pains.

7. This.

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks, guys. I actually am sort of finding myself leaning more in the direction of the LB-100 after more research/sound clips online. As I prefer a more "vintage" tone and the LB-100 seems to do that. Pickup output won't be an issue with a P-Retro. After watching the P-Retro demo video that John East did... I'm sold. That thing is (expensive but) awesome.

I'm still up in the air though... and... of course someone still has to buy my El Toro. :D

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So I keep reading about how uber-hot the Split P MFD pickup is. I was thinking about getting an SB-1 and adding a P-Retro to it. Would that be over-the-top? Would the P-Retro be a better choice for the LB-100. Anybody tried a P-Retro with either of these basses? Anyone want to buy an El Toro? :)

10. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    despite how hot the mfd pickups can be, the sb-1 can get a good vintage tone. fretno posted some links of soundclips he did using his sb-1 doing some surf and rock songs and it sounds like a good old p-bass. do a search and check it out.

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sweet, I will look for those.

12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    OK I could not find these soundclips. Anyone know where they are or have the link?

Thanks!