Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L: favorite switch settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Hi. I'm about to get a G&L L2500 via UPS. I know what all the knobs and switches do (I've owned other G&L's before, although never a 2500), but I'm wondering what settings other players use, and when.

For example, do you have a favorite setting for blues? Rock? Slap? Etc. . .

This will give me something to contemplate as the brown truck wends its slow path to my door!

2. I usually favour leaving running it passive and in parallel mode with both pickups. It is not one of the louder settings but it is a very natural sounding one - probably the most like a Fender Jazz bass.

3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've got a brand new L-2000. Here's some of my favs:

Big, Upright-like Sound
    Neck pickup only
    Series
    Passive
    Treble Rolled Off
    Bass Cranked

Killer Slap
    Both pickups on
    Parallel
    Active
    Treble and Bass Cranked

Jazz-Like Bark
    Bridge pickup only
    Series(I find the bridge pu kinda thin w/parallel)
    Passive or Active
    Treble and Bass Halfway

Good, Full, Rock Sound
    Both pickups
    Parallel
    Active
    Treble and Bass about 75%

I don't like Active w/Treble Boost at all.
    Hope this helps.
    Long live Leo!

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    For a great slap tone I use the both "pick ups on" middle position on the pick up selector, series mode, and with the preamp on and the treble not boosted. For rock grind I use the neck pick up in series mode in treble boost mode and for growly midrange or Jaco like tones I use the bridge pick up in parallel mode with the preamp on.

5. This bass is surprising me; I used to own a super-aggressive-sounding ASAT bass. The L2500 is much mellower sounding. I'm not sure why this should be, because both basses are solid ash, and the pickups and fingerboard (rosewood) are the same.

Maybe the different body shape? Or the thickness of the 5-string neck?

Anyway, most of the settings I've tried so far have a basically deep, Precision-like tone.

The old ASAT I had put forth more of a Jazz/Musicman vibe, depending on settings. . .

6. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Hey Jordon,

Congrats, let's see some pics...

Anyway, stating the obvious, but the string selection will certainly have a lot to do with the sound from your L2500.

I didn't like the brighter (but dead) roundwounds that came on mine (brand unknown). I tried the D'Addario XL's strung thru the body - they gave me many different sounds.

Ended up really liking the smoother TI Flatwounds. Last a long time, and have a nice jazz sound.

ymmv,

John