Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L headstock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 28, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm still looking for an asat bass here in italy.
    i've found one in a beautiful sunburst finish, but i'd like to know something more about the headstock. the G&L logo is in silver colour, under the logo there is written GUITARS BY LEO and the asat logo is in silver too. on the bass there is no mark that remind G&L basses are made in usa. is this normal? i'm used to see 'made in usa' everywhere and why not on the asat ?
    thanks
    marco

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There is a new line being produced in Japan, apparently with the blessing of G&L. G&L had been approached by a major distributor in Japan about doing a Tribute series. I know they are out on the market, but I believe the headstock should say something about the Tribute series on it. Other than that, it could be that a couple of years of the ASAT used the headstock you're describing

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ciao, Marco, come stai? I've never heard of ASAT's or any G&L's being made otuside the USA. (I could be wrong) I owned an ASAT for a while & I don't remember if it said "Made in the USA" on the headstock. All the other info is correct, Silver logo, Guitars by Leo, etc. Good luck.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    tutto bene nino, grazie della risposta, mastichi un pochino di italiano?

6. By the way, G&L basses have been going for amazingly low prices on eBay (even though they are going up now); I don't know what your situation is in terms of having to pay customs, shipping, etc., but it may be worth your while to lurk on eBay to see if you can save some money.

7. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I didnt know they were making stuff in Japan! But if you post the serial number,Im sure one of us can date it for you.If its older,that would eliminate being made in Japan.