1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L IN Canada?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by m1k3_88, Jul 22, 2008.

1. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    I've been lookin into getting a G&L for quite a while and now that I've milked just about all the life from my old bass. Wondering if anybody on here has dealt with any Canadian dealers?I'm just outside of Toronto and was looking into getting an ASAT but now leaning more towards the L2000. Anyhelp or recommendations for dealers to deal with would be a great help.

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. stingray666

stingray666

Jun 12, 2007
    Mike, the lack of resposne to your thread shows what a poor job the Canadian distributor has done for G&L. Here in VanCity, there are about 3 so-called "dealers", who seldom carry the US gui****s, and almost never the US basses- just Tribbys, and few and far between for those. Every G&L i've had, I had to buy thru FleaBay. Whoever is repping the line should be cut off by the McLarens, and even if it is a deal with the Long and McDevil, so be it.

(sorry, for the US TB'ers, Long and McQuade is Canada's answer to, say, Sam Ash. Also, L&M is Yorkville Sound / Traynor. Not as big as GC or Musician's Fiend.)

3. If you're down Montreal way, Italmelodie down near Jean Talon metro station carries a good selection of G&L basses in stock. A good amount of L2000's, L2500's, a couple ASATS and usually a L1500 or two. I think there's one or two SB2's kicking around as well. I didn't see very many tribute basses, lots of the tribute guitars though. Give them a call if you want.

4. ipscwoody

ipscwoody Guest

Excellent to hear! I concur with Stingray about the sad state of G&L dealers in Canada. I was pleased when one of the local guys started carrying them but was quickly dismayed when all they brought in were 2 Tribby's. Flebay or US dealers when I'm on the road have been my only salvation.

I'll definitely check Italelodie out when I am in Montreal again!!

5. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    I'm accually in Montreal quite a bit as I have alot of family and friends up there so I'll have to check out Italmelodie next time around. Figured if I was going to buy a new one might aswell go for the American as its gonna be my main bass for years to come. Thanks for the replies they're greatly appreciated.

Mike.

6. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    I've seen some down in Sudbury, you could also check LA Music.. not exactly sure where it is, but it's in the Greater Toronto area. Not sure if they do have G&Ls either but their store is huge so I would have to guess ?

check their website at http://lamusic.ca/default.asp
    (according to their website they only have G&L guitars, but you could always call, they have over 4 stories of instruments !

7. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    LA music is accually right down the street from me and although they do have a niceeeee selection of basses, sadly no G&Ls.

8. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Pongetti Music in Hamilton is a G & L dealer. They don't always have much in stock so give them a call before you go. I'm sure they would order something for you, if you were prepared to wait.

http://www.pongettimusic.com/

9. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    PluckyThump, thanks for the suggestion as Pongettis isn't too far off. Do you know if they do financing as I was planning on paying off the bass monthly (i'm a college student and after tuitions don't really have the money to drop all at once on the bass).

Orderings not a problem as i don'd mind waiting for the "perfect bass" and since my band is between singers and we're not playing shows at the moment now seems better than having my current bass crap out at a show (its happened before)

I'm also curious as to what G&L bass your running and through what yorkville amp? I'm running an XS400H through an avatar 410 neo cab and love the sound i'm getting, just the problem of the bass almost at the end of its life.

Thanks,
    Mike.

10. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    When I bought my L-2000 there I put it on layaway. That was 15 years ago, don't know if they still do that or any other payment plans but they probably do.

I don't play the L-2000 much anymore as I've gone over to a 5-string with my band. My Yorkie is a BM200 1x15 combo about 7 years old, it's loud enough and convenient but I'm due for an upgrade soon. :bassist: Everyone seems to like the Avatar cabs.

11. Buds Music in Peterborough are dealers - and had a 2000 last time I was in

12. 30hrz

30hrz

May 13, 2007
    Toronto
    Oh, I found a dealer just outside Toronto but damn if I can remember their name...Apparently KAOS has them and so does Don't Fret. Whether they are in stock I can't say. Be warned that you may find one cheaper via mail order from the U.S. For some reason music stores in T.O. haven't adjusted their prices since our dollar went to par with the U.S.

Side note I would say that I am surprised that neither L&M nor Steve's carries them. I've only herd good things about G&L basses and the Tribute model seems to be the best deal out there for the price. I mean...is there actually a better bass out there for $600? A G&L will probably be my second bass.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021