1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L INPUT PROBLEM..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ErnieD, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Instrument cable got hung up and pulled the plug out of my G&L L2500 bass. Now bass has popping, cracking when I use it even with a new cable. Checked inside back cover did not find any loose wires, all solders look tite. Outside inspection of bass cannot find a cracked or loose input. Do I need to pull the input out of the bass to look for something cracked, loose or broken within the barrel, any solders in their? If I need a new input do I need one from G&L or can I pick one up at a GC or other local store?

2. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    If the solder connections are in tact and the cable is fine, the only thing between them is a damaged jack. I'd start with trying to get into the jack with something to bend the contacts back into position so they're tight on the plug. If that can't be done, it's time to replace the part. Try the G&L online store. Or maybe pull the jack out and shop around town until you find it.

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I'll take a look at that. And thanks for that link too. I always route my cable in my strap to prevent such an accident. It was last set, after the last song, I pulled the plug and then the singer calls out for one more song by request. I plugged in, not thru the strap and my cable got hung up on my bassstand, Doh!. The one time I did not do it, it is costing me now. Oh well, I'll remember from now on you can bet. :rollno:

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Those jacks just go out after a few years' use; you don't have to do anything to damage them. Ibanez basses use the same type of jacks, and they go out too. Carvin sells them online for like $6 each, which is about half what the local shops sell them for. Of course there's shipping involved, but if you bought a bunch of parts that would offset it somewhat.