1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L JB-2 is in the class of ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chiplexic, Mar 29, 2006.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    What other basses is the JB-2 equal to in the minds of the bass community? Is it in the same realm as...
    Amer.Series Jazz
    Amer.Vintage Series
    Lakland U.S. Jazz
    Where does it rate in your opinion ???

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    When I first read this, I thought the top option was "Squier Jazz" too funny... Ok, since this IS a real comparison...

I'd have to put it in the same class as the American Series Jazz bass. I think that it's higher quality construction, but based on the price and the options, I'd say that. I've not played the Lakland, so I may be biased.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    In general, I think G&L's are equivilent to Laklands at almost 1/2 the price.

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm a big G&L fan and I'd say the US G&Ls are in the same class as US Fenders (including US deluxe) and Musicman basses. They all have different construction features but I'd put the quality of workmanship, fit-and-finish and value at around the same "slot" new (IME the Musicmen are maybe a touch better fit-and-finish wise, and which comes out tops on features depends on which features you value more). They all have their plusses and minusses and which is "best" depends on your POV/preferences.

Now used - G&Ls tend to not hold their price as well and are a super value on the used market.

That's a general statement on their quality and value. For the JB-2 specifically I don't know - the first one I'll have ever seen in person arrives today.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I agree with Craig. I would rate G&L's in the same class of build quality as MM's. I have one of each and they are pretty comparable in construcion. I would probably give MM's the slight edge also in overall quality. So, to answer your question more specifically, I would place them above Fender MIA's and below USA Laklands in terms of quality and attention to detail. Overall, they are very nice, but not thoroughly boutique, instruments.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How do you guys like the pick ups in the JB2 , its passive right ?.