G&L JB-2 -- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dig_Wilbur_Ware, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Sound, feel, weight, versatility?
    I'm feel myself leaning that way as there's one near by, waiting for an audition... Haven't had the pleasure yet.
    Any feedback appreciated.
  2. Have not tried one of these yet.....
  3. Buffalo Bros is a G&L dealer right by my house so I have played a few. The first time I tried it I thought it gave my 2000 MIA Jazz a serious run for the money. That was about a year and a half ago. They have a different one now and it doesn't have the "mojo". It might be able to be set up a little more to my liking. Go... play.. post your take!
  4. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    A friend has a very nice JB-2, I bought one and was very disappointed. I've since tried several others and haven't found the right one but I'm still looking. They are very well built, and fairly true to a classic Jazz. If you think a stock Jazz is versatile you should like them.
  5. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Tried out several G&L's (JB-2 and L-2000) recently in competition w/ Lakland Skyline Signatures (JoBo and Darryl Jones) and KSDs. As a result, I am very torn but was able to eliminate the KSD.

In general, I dug on every G&L I've played (except for one wack-ass L-2000 -- very high action and a puke green finish). But I like the JB-2 over the L-2000.

I prefer the Jazz p/u's in the JB-2 to the dual-humbuckers in the L-2000. The p/u layout on the L-2000 is a little kooky. Although it must be said that the sheer range of tone on the L-2000 is amazing, I don't like all those controls. The simple knob layout of the JB-2 is cool, and it has the vintage tone I want out of a Jazz-style bass.

I would like to track down a non-Tribute SB-2 to check out. I have a feeling that would seal the deal for me, if it plays anything like the JB-2. Although I worry that it doesn't have a tone knob!!!