1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L JB-2 (Tribute and USA)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troutbum22, Jan 21, 2012.

1. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    Got the chance to play around on some G&L's today. I liked the JB-2's over the L-2000's.

My local dealer here in the upstate of SC had a good selection in stock which is rare these days especially with GC (not a fan) just down the road. I really liked the JB-2 series and was fortunate to play both the Tribute and USA models. Sound wise I could not tell a difference. The main differece that I noticed was the overall feel of the neck. Not a big difference but noticable. Overall, both are fine instruments. I think the US made JB-2 with a HSC is prolly worth the extra 600 clams, but that;s just me and my two cents. Gotta sell some crap and get me one on order.

2. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    Yes, the Tribute and USA G&L sound pretty much the same. I thought the USA wasn't worth almost double the price so I got myself a Tribute L2500.

I've been really happy with it :)

3. MechEngr

MechEngr

Jun 26, 2007
    Ohio
    I bought a G&L ASAT a couple of years ago, and my Fender USA Jazz Bass has been collecting cobwebs. It's just a spectacular bass . . .

4. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    I like having more finish options like the US made models. I look at it this way. I would rather be happy with what I buy and spend the extr $$'s. I may just have to put the Schecter up for sale and go after one. I ain't selling my 95 Peavey Foundation.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    keep an eye on CL and the classifieds here and you may come across a used jb-2 with the features you want for a good price.

6. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    Yeah, the custom options offered are nice and even when the finish is the same, the USA looks better. My blueburst L2500 is not as pretty as the USA version, it is really dark...

But if you buy one with the custom finish you'll have to wait a little bit to get the bass on your hands. I didn't have much time to wait for that, so I went with the Tribute route (and I wanted a blueburst bass anyways).

If I had the money and the time, I would order a USA G&L with some custom options, but that was not the case, so I am happy with my Tribute, it sounds and feels great :)

7. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    I haven't owned a tribute but I did have a USA JB-2 for awhile, the feel,fit, and finish are worth it my opinion.

8. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    As I stated above, the Neck on the US model just felt better, not saying the Indo JB-2 neck felt bad...just not as good.

9. My JB-2 Tribute is a very sweet playing and sounding bass. Based on past experiences with US G&Ls however, I'd assume they're worth the extra cash if you've got it to spare.