1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L JB-2 Tribute vs. MIM Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Been wanting a nice passive jazz style bass. I am a Fender guy and these 2 are what I have narrowed down to and within the price point I am looking at ($500 +/-).

The build quality even on the Tribute G&L is from what I understand going to be top notch.

The MIM will offer more color options. Which honestly is a big deal to me. The JB2 Tribute is rather bland in its options. However both the natural with rosewood and the sunburst with maple fingerboard are very nice and classy looking.

I am intrigued by the G&Ls because I keep hearing and reading about how Leo was basically refining what he had already designed.

I sorta know what to expect with the MIM. Sturdy and solid with mod options galore. The G&L is a bit more mysterious and without ever playing one I expect it to be better. The bridge design and pickups seem to be better. Especially considering how "refined" Leo would have designed these.

The JB2s are a little cheaper. MIMs have more cosmetic options. I am in a bit of a deadlock.

2. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Bump

3. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    $449 for the JB-2 is a no brainer. Its a great bass.

4. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    Are both of these mail-order (so you cannot try them out)?

5. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    The average build quality of the G&L tribute IMO is higher than a MIM standard and the #8 neck on the G&L JB-2 (and SB-2) is a joy to play... JB-2 has great tones and for $150 less it really does makes this a no brainer.

So, other than no aftermarket parts for tinkerers the only reason not to buy a JB-2 over a MIM standard is if you believe your skill and sex appeal will disappear along with the Fender logo.

Tonedeaf Hack likes this.
  6. I've owned both in the past and preferred the G&L. I thought it was more comfortable to play (personal preference perhaps) and the build quality was top notch.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I had both, I still own the JB2. It doesn't replace my American Jazz but it definitely holds its own and I always get positive comments on its tone. It is a joy to play.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree completely. The MIM Fenders are quite good these days, and I really like my modded 2010, but the G&L will be better. The #8 neck is wonderful, and the G&L pickups absolutely blow away MIM Fender J pickups. (Also, while you cannot mod the G&L as much as a Fender, you can swap pickups if you want. The G&L pickups are excellent though.)

9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The pickups aren't easy to swap on the G&L because they are the same size unlike the Fender and the size is longer than a neck pup and smaller than a bridge pup. Although you won't need to swap them. They sound really good.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I had no issues swapping out my USA JB's pickups, so I guess it's a Tribute issue similar to the issue on MIM Fender J's before around 2003. Oh well, you're right there's no need to change them out.

11. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yeah, why did they do that ?, I wouldnt have the need to change the pickups on mine as it really kills BUT If i did I wouldnt know what to throw in, one more thing is the front pickup outer ploe piece on the E and G string is a mile away from the stirng , could have done with a shorter length pickup . Apart from that the JB-2 Tribute surely is a " Jazz on steriods ", absolutely lovely Bass .

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021