1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L JB: Stock pups vs Fralins

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pet Sounds, Nov 26, 2018.

1. A few years ago, I picked up a set of Lindy Fralin Jazz Bass pickups that are still residing in their box. I recently purchased a USA G&L JB bass and am wondering how the Fralins might compare tonally to the stock pickups should I choose to swap them out? Would the Fralins be a drop-in replacement for the MFD pups?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The JB has traditional alnico J-bass single coils, not MFDs, and the Fralins should be drop-in replacements.

I have a Fender J with Fralin's hum-canceling Split-Jazz pickups, and a G&L JB that now has Lace Sensor Man o' Wars. When I was considering the G&L, I tested one back-to-back with my Fender, and thought the stock G&L pickups and my Fralins were similar for tone. The Fralins have a slightly raw edge though, and I would expect Fralin pure singles to have a touch more bite than my Split-Jazz set. (And if they're overwound, they'll sound thicker too.) The G&L pickups produce totally classic J-bass tone IMO, with clarity and growl. They sound great and record beautifully, but I'm a sucker for the gritty punch of Fralins, so I say give them a try!

Pet Sounds likes this.
  3. Nedmundo likes this.