1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD G&L L-1000 BABP LE - CAR w/ tinted maple #8 neck (J width)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Madcity Fats, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    This is another one of those "never thought I'd do this" posts. I recently caught the Lakland bug and bought a Skyline Decade. Love it. Then, a used DPLE Glaub showed up at a price about half of what I've seen here and I couldn't pass it up. Thing is, with two young kids I have a self-imposed limit on the number of basses I can keep around to help keep the GAS expenditures in check (which my wife wholeheartedly supports). So last night I auditioned this one along side my '80 and '81 Wunkays and although this one easily holds its own, it's just not at the top of the rotation at the moment. And since my other basses each fill a different niche ... well, here goes. Somebody buy this before I change my mind and pi$$ off the missus.

If you're looking, you probably know that this is one of a handful of L-1000s commissioned by Matt at Guitar Man NYC. I believe he said there are 21 total, which includes a handful the factory made that weren't spoken for, some of which are still available new from Matt. Here's you chance to get one as close to new as you're likely to find at a serious discount.

Specs: The body is alder. Candy Apple Red finish is astounding. The neck is a beautifully tinted #8 (1.5" nut, 12" radius), which is a rarity on these models, if one ever even existed before this LE run. Neck is the newer style construction, has been PLEK'd and has some nice flame along the back (tried to capture this but it looks better in person). Weight is a comfy 8.8 pounds. The electronics are to the same specs as the original early 80's models w/ a 3-way switch for parallel/single-coil/series w/ bass boost (or the legendary OMG mode).

Condition: First off, forgive the pics. I'm a lousy photog. The finish is in outstanding shape. Just a couple of the lightest swirls imaginable in the finish and the slightest scuffing at the top neck-side corner of the pup where my thumb typically sits. Nothing that will show in photos or that couldn't be buffed out if you're anal about it. Absolutely no dings, chips or scratches beyond that. The chrome is intact with just a couple of smudges on the tuning pegs I can probably clean up before sending it out. The strings are the originals, but I can re-string w/ D'Addario EXL170s (45-65-80-100, which I believe are the same as stock) for no extra charge. Comes with the OHSC (the newer, sturdier Gator style) and all the candy, certificate, etc.

Now the pics (again, sorry for the quality ... it's really hard to do justice to the CAR finish w/ my cruddy point-n-shoot):

29e1x79.

24qpm45.

fm8lkk.

6ol6l4.

345ig5s.

dn0o41.

These basses originally went for $1350 plus an additional $150 for the gun oil tint, so I paid $1500 plus shipping. Right now Matt has a new one identical to this minus the upgrade (pretty sure mine is the only CAR #8 GOT of the bunch).

I'd like to get $1150 shipped and insured to the lower 48. PayPal OK.

No straight trades, please, since as I said the stable is full right now. If you're tight on cash, I might consider some cash + trade offers, but I need to get as close to a grand out of this as I can. About the only accessory I could use right now is a decent gig bag (but I'm kind of picky about what my basses ride around in). But feel free to give it a shot.

PM with offers and questions. And please, make it quick because this one kind of hurts (it's the only custom build bass I've ever owned). I need this to be sort of like ripping off a band-aid.

Thanks and good luck!

2. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Bump for a sweet bass!

I may be owning one of these soon.

3. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Ya know, you could own this one ... ;)

A few more details by way of this bump:

The case has never left my house. I honestly don't think you could tell it from new. The bass itself has seen a number of practices but has only been gigged twice (although one of those was a three and a half hour wedding gig). So it's low mileage but definitely road tested (with flying colors ... the couple's still married :D).

Also, anyone in the Chicagoland area who'd like to save on shipping, I might be persuaded to meet you part way. Or you could come to Madtown and we could soak a brew or two (my treat since you'd be saving me the shipping hassle).

As for cash + trade offers, like I said I only really need a nice gig bag at the moment, but that's never stopped me before. I have a modest home studio and am always interested in what sort of toys are out there. Not a big effects guy, but you never know. But again, any such deal would have to be heavy on the cash side.

4. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    PM sent

5. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Right back atcha!

6. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I own one of these and they are awesome <bump>

7. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    ...and the local wolves circle....:bag:

8. Madcity Fats

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Fine by me! Happy to have her staying on the local scene.

And this one's ... GONE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.