1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-1000 Bleg

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jun 3, 2014.

1. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Interesting. I think Greg usually orders G&Ls with the request for lighter weight, but it's luck of the draw what you actually get.

Regarding Chef's question about the name of the 5 string - I think Greg made that one up. I don't think we know what it will actually be called - I guess I will have to wait til I open the case!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    RocketMusic likes this.
  2. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    My impression is that they are using the the L-1500 and L-1505 as the starting point. Move the single pickup towards the neck and load it with the L-1000's passive electronics setup. The #10 neck is the only 5-string neck available. I'm guessing the headstock on the 5-string will say "L-1005" or something like that to differentiate it from the 4-string. Any of the current neck finishes are available (untinted satin, light tinted satin or gloss, and vintage tinted satin or gloss).

The pricing for an ash/maple in CAR with vintage tint satin neck looks like this:
    L-1005: $1700 (MSRP)
    Ash body: $100
    CAR finish: $0
    Vintage Tint Satin neck: $100 (gloss would be $200)
    TOTAL MSRP = $1900 (satin neck) or $2000 (gloss neck)

The lowest internet price you see on G&L's is 75% of MSRP. That would $1425 (satin neck) or $1500 (gloss neck) in this case. That includes a hardshell case and free shipping anywhere in the lower 48 US.

I hope that helps!

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Indeed. I'm just following the L-1500/L-1505 naming convention, and I imagine that's what G&L will do also... but I don't think they even know yet what they'll call it.

And I do indeed typically request "Lightweight" when I order G&L's, unless the customer prefers otherwise. G&L makes no guarantees about hitting a specific weight range, but I like to think it helps...

bhunt1 likes this.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Greg: thanks for the reply sir, 'ppreciate it!
    I'll have to think on that for a while.

Killer Project!!!!!

RocketMusic likes this.
  5. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    They could just skip the model name on the headstock, too.

SS_LB1001000.jpg

6. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Jersey Pine Barrens
    So what is the typical weight of a 4 string L1000 with an ash body?

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Brad: yeah. that's better than 1005, IMO.

Jeff: G&L's regularly come in over 9.5-10lbs, IME. I've had a lot of them since 1980, and finding one in the 9lbs range seems fairly uncommon, at least for me.

8. JI99

JI99 Guest

Jan 24, 2007
    I have a very nice recent L-2000, just under 9 pounds. Don't know if i just got lucky or if they are paying more attention to weight now. I've asked Greg to request as light as possible in my order spec, anything under 9 pounds would be great.

9. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Jersey Pine Barrens
    So it will probably be a heavy 4, probably similar to my stingray 5, although I have never placed the ray on a scale. Of corse my Upton is about 28 lbs...but I don't have to sling it cover my shoulder to play it either ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Chef likes this.
  10. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Greg, another question, would they be able to do an east indian walnut body? they've done a few L and M series basses with them before. if it's a yes, then it looks like I'll succumb to g.a.s. and will be sending you a check.

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    What would be really cool is if G&L would throw in another 3-way toggle to split the coils (neck, both, bridge).

12. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm afraid the only body wood options are Ash and Alder. I've asked about several other body woods, and they're all a "no" from G&L. :(

The one three way toggle should split the HB (I'm still guessing, but I'm expecting series, single coil and single coil with bass boost). But it could always be rewired to do whatever you want in terms of splitting. I don't think G&L will do that at the factory, but any competent tech should be able to do it.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I think L1000's were parallel, single coil and single coil with bass boost

I could be wrong.

Having series, and, single coil with bass boost "is sort of redundant," and parallel gives you a stingray-esque voicing.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    RocketMusic likes this.
  14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have the K wiring option on my L2K's. I usually play in Series/Passive. But, if I do go to single, I have to use the preamp to get some ooooomph (technical term) out of it.

15. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I just received word on the switch! It'll be a 3-way with series/single coil/parallel settings.

16. Single coil with bass boost, aka OMG-switch, I hope?

The original L1000 had a 3-way selector for humbucking, single coil, and single coil with bass boost.

17. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm afraid I don't think so. It's a passive bass, so I've never really understood how they got extreme bass boost in the first place (other than extremely cutting treble and mids)... if there's a wiring diagram out there, it's probably a fairly easy mod to make after the fact...

If I need to prod G&L for such a wiring diagram, I'm happy to do so. I hope this switch info doesn't come as too much of a disappointment to anyone. I'm really sorry I couldn't get them to answer the question more quickly (before deposits started flying). I asked and asked and asked... sigh.

18. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    On the G&L site there is this diagram of the L1000 wiring:

http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/L-1000_schematic_blockdiagram.pdf

The wiring diagram shows a series humbucking mode with a capacitor in the circuit - I think that is bass boost mode. So if they put the cap in there is should be like the original bass boost.

I actually had a custom fretless bass made with this wiring diagram used by the builder and it does seem like bass boost to me :)

19. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i believe there's a diagram on the guitarsbyleo forum. AFAIK, the OMG mode is a .1k cap wired across one of the coils in series mode, which shunts one of the coils and provides a few decibels of bass and some extra high-end. i snipped the cap off on my '81 L1K to give me the series/single coil/parallel settings.

RocketMusic likes this.
  20. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    you're right on the parallel/SC/SCWBB. odd that they only listed it as "humbucking" in the original flyers/spec sheets and didn't specify until later on.

RocketMusic likes this.